Thursday, January 12, 2006

Why I Love Melanie Like A Sister

Melanie gave birth to her 2nd daughter about 5 weeks before Joe was hospitalized. And her baby had been hospitalized at about 3 weeks old for a few days, so it wasn't the most relaxing maternity leave. While Joe was in the hospital, she pretty much was in charge of my house/son. She organized a crew to be here all day cleaning, cooking, and playing with Jacob. She drove me back and forth to and from the hospital, and stayed solid as a rock for me.

Joe went into the hospital on a Saturday. On Wednesday night at 3AM (so really Thursday) the doctors from ICU woke me up from the little room I was sleeping in at the hospital. They told me that they had to do a risky procedure to Joe, and I should go and talk to him for a few minutes (even though he was in a coma.) They were worried that this would be my last chance to speak to him while he was alive, but they also wanted me to tell him to fight for his life.

My mother was out of the country at the time (desperately trying to get home), and my sister was sleeping at my house with Jacob. I knew that I didn't want to be alone after I said my goodbyes to Joe.

The nurse asked me if I wanted her to call someone. I instantly said, "melanie."

Later, the nurse told me that Melanie answered the phone and as soon as the nurse said who she was, melanie said, "I'll be right there." and hung up the phone. She didn't even wait for an explanation for the call.

She found me sitting in the lounge, crying hysterically, with the hospital's rabbi by my side, waiting to hear if Joe made it through the procedure or not. She knew not to say anything. And there she stayed until the doctors reappeared and said that the procedure was successful. I spent the rest of the day holding onto Joe's dying body, until his heart finally stopped beating at 5PM that afternoon.

Melanie was the first person to get the phone call. She then made all the calls that needed to be made. And she never stopped.

She always knows what I need, even when I don't.

-B

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're right. I cried.

b said...

You tell her Walter!

I've been trying to tell her to start her own blog for a while now.

See, Mel? You already have a fan that would read it. (aside from me, I mean)

ramblingmuse said...

Count me in.

Three eager fans for sure!

:-)

Anonymous said...

If we all had friends like Melanie, the world would be a better place.

Mrs. G.F. said...

read with tears in my eyes...

very moving, and what a baeutiful friendship.

Anonymous said...

Alright R, now you're making me cry too. -m