Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Quick S.S. update

I just called my local Social Security office while my students were in Spanish. Strangely enough, I was connected to Mrs. Choy, the woman who originally figured out how much money the boys were supposed to be getting. I told her that I remembered speaking with her originally because she had been so kind and caring on the phone. (this is true, it wasn't just to suck up to her!)

She looked up my records and could not understand why S.S. reduced the payments. She still came up with the same figure that we had been getting.

"So, you can change it back?" I asked hopefully.

She giggled. "Oh, no. This is out of my hands. It goes through the national office."

"So what should I do?"

"If I were you, I would appeal. Something is wrong with what they're telling you."

So now I'm appealing. But isn't it messed up that the rep. from S.S. is telling me that the new payment is wrong, but she can't do anything about it?

Ugh!!!!!! At least she sided with me, I guess. And I didn't cry (that's big for me) or even feel like crying.

Will write more tonight. (not about S.S.)

-B

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's promising.

Omnipotent Poobah said...

Relaxed,

I've only been reading your blog for a few days, but I have to say that you seem to be handling these bureaucratic snafus with remarkable patience.

Hang in there and cry if you want...better to get it out than to hold it in.

Mrs. G.F. said...

The whole thing...
aggravation!!!!

Who needs it????

So sorry for all this extra crap.