Monday, January 30, 2006


Patrick's Sex Ed Weekend
(I will now hand the blog over to Patrick)

So let me try to write something blogworthy about the weekend...

Friday night we played a game we call the "Dirty Word Game." We take the terms sexual intercourse, vagina, penis, masterbation, and breasts, and give them to the group which has been divided into two. They come up with as many slang words as possible for the terms. (see pic above)

For Saturday we had two professional psychologists come and help (they were a couple, one guy one girl). We started out the sex ed stuff by filling out a sheet that asked about values and what would you do if... situations. (For example the first questions was 1a) who should be responsible for the first kiss 1b) who should be responsible for the sexual pace of the relationsip and 1c) who should be responsible for the birth control). Then we split up into same gender groups and had a long 'q and a' period. We got into lots of stuff about relationships, biology. It was interesting to me that while talking about biology we talked about what parts are more or less sensitive, e.g. we were giving sex tips. But we were teaching that sex can be fun, so it is important to go over how to make it fun.

After making a list of 5 things we wanted to know about the opposite gender, and 5 things we wanted to know about our gender, we brought the two groups together and answered those questions. We then talked a lot about communicaiton in relationships, and the differences between men and women in relationships, that sort of stuff.

Later we passed around condoms and different birth control things, and had people practise putting the condoms on cucumbers while going over some condom use tips (don't flip the condom over, don't keep it in your wallet, lambskin doesn't protect against STDs as well as latex does, etc)

It felt like an all-encompassing sex ed session.

6 comments:

b said...

I, for one, am surprised by many of the slang terms for penis. Eel? Purple headed yogurt squirter? Petey? Am I just naive, or are these strange names?

M said...

I've never heard of those... but I think I'm definitely naive.

ramblingmuse said...

Moisture missle??

Umm...???

Anonymous said...

These were high-schoolers, mostly freshman and sophomores.
There were a bunch that I hadn't heard of... one that might be tough to see which made me laugh was Kruell the Warrior King.

Anonymous said...

I've heard mosquito bite for breasts...as in very small ones = a mosquito bite that swelled...

I for one am curious what you answered for what parts were most sensitive...

Ok, and as a parent, I am wondering how they felt about you teaching the kids that sex is fun. I like the idea but don't know if I could handle it related to my own kids...hope I can.

Sounds like you did a wonderful job with these guys. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

So as far as sensitive areas go, we talked about the clitoris instead of the vagina for women, and where it is blah blah. We also talked about the most sensitive spot for men being on the top part of the shaft just below the head of the penis.
(Sorry for the details for those of the weak of heart)

The way I was taught sex ed was just by the facts. The biology, the stats about STDs and how to avoid them. But this left a lot unanswered. Isn't having fun and ensuring your partner's pleasure a big part of sex?