Saturday, January 07, 2006

Frustrated With Social Security

I honestly think they have no idea what's going on in their office. I just got a letter today saying that they've been overpaying me for the boys, and are decreasing what I get each month by a lot. I need that money to pay for daycare so I can work and have health insurance and pay my mortgage!

The thing that gets me is I've received prob. 3 letters in the past year stating that I was underpaid and increasing what I get. Now they're taking away all the increases plus more. I will be getting far less than I started with! And there's no explanation in the letter. I have 30 days to have a lawyer contact them if I'd like to fight their decision.

So messed up.

After Joe died, while I was still pregnant with Josh, my sister (or mother?) spoke with someone from S.S. to find out about benefits for my kids. And the rep. said that Josh would be ineligible for benefits because I couldn't prove that Joe was his father. I would have to get a certified letter from Joe's parents stating that Josh was indeed Joe's son. Huh?

Anyone work for S.S. that would like to explain this nonsense to me?

-B

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sucks royally. Hopefully S can help clear it up. Try not to panic yet. Knowing S.S., they just screwed up again... -m

Mrs. G.F. said...

Argghh! What a pain in the a**!

I hate stupid people, and all that paperwork and bureaucracy is infuriating and stupid. if i do say so myself.

Good luck muddling through it B. :)

ramblingmuse said...

SS is waaay messed up. Went through crap for my mom too when my dad passed away. Work the system step by step. And document like crazy. Who you called, times, names of people you spoke with... try nolo.com ...search 'social security'. Dunno if that will help.

Hang in there. You're in my prayers!

:-)

ramblingmuse said...

Hmmm... nolo.com ...the website has changed. Not so helpful.

Maybe this? http://www.ssa.gov/

Keep posting the questions. Will help however I can.

Hang in there!

b said...

You guys are great. Thanks for you advice and support! I'm going to talk to Joe's cousin today who is a pretty big lawyer. Perhaps she can help me (and I know she won't charge me).

Thanks again!

Michelle said...

Good luck getting the SS straightened out, it's really sad that they have to make things so difficult during a time like this.

I do know of someone that had 1 child with her husband and she was pregnant when he passed away. They had been separated (although not legally) and even though the 2nd child was in fact not his but because she listed her deceased hubby as the father on the Birth Cert she automatically received survivor benefits for her.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to get some clarification here.
1. SS is messed & has messed up your stuff.
2. Are you receiving benefits for 2 kids? That talk about having to prove it was just a sidebar, right?
3. My cousin works for a law group that does stuff with ssdi (disability stuff). i can ask her who works survivorship stuff but you would have to request pro bono help. Regardless, please let me know if you want me to pursue this.

we can talk about this more at group if you'd like.

Always something...as I WELL know, always somthing. rejoice at least this set back didn't involve blood (yet)
R

b said...

R,
yes that was just sidebar. The person my sister had spoken to had her facts wrong. Which was my point...they are so messed up there, everyone I speak with gives me different info. Am about to speak to Joe's cousin. I'll see what she says. I'm hoping to discuss better things at group, but one never knows. And yes, no blood involved :O)