Sunday, January 01, 2006

New York State of Mind

I love visiting my sister and her family in NY. We got here yesterday, and have just had a really nice time together. My sister made an amazing dinner for New Year's Eve. Here's what was on the menu:
Apps.
cheese (5 different kinds?) and crackers
homemade (ridiculously amazing) artichoke dip with french bread
assorted meats
assorted veggies

Main meal
salad
prime rib
mashed potatoes
roasted mushrooms
homemade rolls

Dessert
tropical fruit trifle

Drinks
wine
Grey Goose vodka and grapefruit juice

There were 8 adults and 6 children, but my two were asleep before everyone got here. Everyone left at around 10:30, and Becca went right to bed. I tried going to bed then too, but my brother-in-law refused to let me. Literally refused. He turned on the lights and insisted that we watch TV and talk until midnight. At 11:50 I heard my sister calling him. I said, "Thank god, go be with your wife for midnight." He turned off the lights, and TV, and headed upstairs. But unfortunately he headed right back down. My sister had a headache and needed tylenol. Lights and TV were back on.

Don't really know what to say about Dick Clark. I was drunk so I told my brother-in-law that he sounded like a drunk retard. Not words I would typically use to describe someone, but pretty accurate unfortunately. His speech was completely slurred, and the content made no sense. Even his countdown was off. Pretty sad.

When I'm here, I'm so tempted to move here. My sister really wants us to, and is always asking me to.

Reasons to move here:
1. My sister
2. My nephew
3. My brother-in-law
Those 3 reasons are really equivalent to about 10 reasons, because they are so important to our lives. It's so nice having my kids around them.


Reasons not to move here:
1. My Friends
2. My job
3. My house
4. My neighborhood
5. Joe's buried here
6. My mom
7. My daycare provider
8. My widow support group
Can't imagine leaving any of them.

Insights?

-B

8 comments:

Mrs. G.F. said...

Oh gosh, a decision only you can make. I think that you have to be ready to completely move on. Leave the house you were in together and all that. I would imagine that would be difficult.

I can understand the family thing though. My brother and his wife have a second home for me there. I know I could walk in the door and ask for anything, and they would help me. Very appealing to be close for that.

Having an uncle nearby might be great for the boys too, the male figure and all that.

Don't mind me rambling, just finishing my 2nd glass of wine. (Yes, I am a cheap date. :)

Mrs. G.F. said...

I guess this is what bloggers do sometimes. :)Big post here, so don't mind me with this lighthearted comment:

Tag...

...list 5 weird things about yourself, tag five other people to do the same, and then comment on their blogs that they have been tagged.

b said...

What if I don't know 5 other people who have blogs?

I'll answer though, and respond to yours :O)

ramblingmuse said...

I go through the same thoughts each time I visit my family in Arizona and each time I get tired of the routine here.

Sometimes you just have to make a decision and just stick with it, no matter what. Otherwise, time will pass and before you know it you're stuck.

Sometimes we just have to accept where we're at and really hang on to those things that are good about it. If we keep comparing to the "other", we'll never be content.

Sorry, I don't think my post was insightful or helpful. Oh, well.

Glad to hear your time in NY was good. :-)

Anonymous said...

I shouldn't be allowed to vote here... -m

Anonymous said...

I guess my biggest worry about you moving here is that I can't compete with Melanie as such a terrific and giving friend. But other than that, you should move here. How great would it be if you lived 5 minutes away? Brett won't make you stay up until midnight every night, just once a year, so don't let that stop you. And he really loves your boys.

Anonymous said...

Ah...very very interesting...For me, these kinds of things always come down to a gut instinct. After Big Jack died, I knew I did not want to go back to Minnesota, even though that's where family is. And after 15 months, I knew deep down that it was time to find a different house that was more suited to my new life with Little Jack. I shook up a lot of things in my life during those first few years, maybe as a subconscious way of moving on? I don't know. But I'm glad you're having such a great time there!

Anonymous said...

You need to do what you feel is best for you and the boys...even if that might mean moving to NY, but only you can make that decision. I have a feeling you'll know if the time right.

And, don't believe Becca about Brett only keeping you up past midnight once a year... I'd bet it be at least twice!

I agree with Mel... I'll keep my real vote to myself: )-J