Thursday, January 12, 2006

Patrick, This one's for you!

Top 5 reasons working with Patrick (the aide in my classroom) is so fun:

1. He is willing to make up and perform cheers with me about random events. Today's cheer was in preparation for tomorrow's guest speaker.

me: Go Rob
Patrick: Go Eliot
me: Go Rob
Patrick: Go Eliot
Patrick: Our kids need a kick in the butt
me: Help us here at Eliot
Patrick: Please tell us what to do
me: and we'll say a big thank you
Me: Go Rob
Patrick: Go Eliot
Me: Go Rob
Patrick: Go Eliot
unison: Gooooo Rob!

We actually performed this cheer for many speechless teachers after school today. We even performed it for the principal, who actually cracked a smile. ANd yes, I know this is a lame cheer. And that's really the point. How many people will not just go along with, but help create such a lame cheer, and THEN perform it with enthusiasm? Go Patrick!

2. He isn't too loud. Nothing worse then an aide in the room who is so loud you want to tell him/her to be quiet more often than you want to tell the kids.

3. He's awesome with the boy he's assigned to help. This child is not the easiest to be around, and Patrick deals with him way better than I do.

4. He's fun to be with, and laughs with me throughout the day. Yet definitely notices when I am in a more serene mood, and gives me the space that I need.

5. He reads this blog (and when pressured posts comments) every day.

-B

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those of you who haven't seen the cheer live, I highly recommend it. I can honestly say, there's nothing quite like it. :o)

But I also have to say, I'm starting to get jealous. There are now odes to three people on this blog and I'm not one of them. Hmmph. :o) -m

b said...

Mel, no worries. You'll be next. What can I say about you? Everyone who knows me knows that you are the best friend a girl could have. Everyone is always commenting how they have never met such a giving person. And my sister cited you as the reason I shouldn't move to her.

So ode to melanie will be coming very soon. Stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that was it. :o)-m

ramblingmuse said...

Hey,

Don't forget an ode to your fellow bloggers! :-P

J/K...

I like your posts about all your friends and loved ones. :-)

You're very blessed to have them in your life!

b said...

RM,

Glad you like reading them. And I am very lucky to have all of them. That much I know.

And while you joke, RAD from widow group called me tonight and said that now I need to write an ode to every poster!

All in due time....

And Lingo Slinger,
Thanks for the cheer. can't wait for Patrick to read it in the morning. Poor lad doesn't have internet at home. Can you imagine?

Anonymous said...

wow... such a nice way to start a Friday morning...

I think this is the first ode to me (that I know of)

For the record, it's not that I deal with "the boy" better than you do. You set up the calming classroom atmosphere, and the rules that he has done well in.
I think we just make a good team.
team kerblum

Anonymous said...

for those of you who won't know, that and this are both from Patrick

Anonymous said...

Hey, how many teams do you have? We're team forblum.

b said...

Becca,
No worries. I am on two teams. Team Forblum, and team Kerblum. That's it.

One is for work, as in "Way to go! Team Kerblum!" (high five)

The other is for sportsmanship (woowhoo! Team Forblum!)

To other readers, yes, we are a messed up group!

Mrs. G.F. said...

It's always great to have fun at work. Glad you guys make a great team. Must help on some of those bad days.

Hey, I agree with Ramblingmuse, what about us? The faithful posters, the fellow bloggers, the the..... (I am at a loss for words, help me out here....)

:)

Anonymous said...

I don't know why you said the cheer was lame, even in an intentionally funny way. I really liked it, and sent it to my friend, Linda, who was once a cheerleader and now heads up the development arm of the national cheerleading association. She said it wasn't a very good cheer. Oh, that's why you said it was lame. Never mind. You know what else is lame? Linda.

Anonymous said...

For those of you who don't know me, there is no Linda.

Anonymous said...

Go Patrick! Glad you guys are having a fun year together...It's great to have some to enjoy the kids with during those special moments... And the whole cheer- leading shared interest is hysterical. Can't wait to see the cheer.

b said...

Owen, please move back to Boston. I need you here! I would do a whole ode to you, but I think people will stop reading if I continue all of these odes. But god you are funny.

For those reading, Owen used to make comic strips with me as the main character. They were the funniest things I had ever seen. Of course, thinking back on it, they were all making fun of me. But with love :O)

Move here!!!!!

Anonymous said...

No ode needed. Just keep working on that cheer. That's all I'll ever need.

Also, the strips were making fun with you, not of you.