Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Life Contract

The medium shared with me an interesting idea about life and death. She said that before we enter the world as a baby, we sign a contract with a soul that's leaving. In the contract you pick your date of birth, and your date of death. You obviously don't remember anything about this contract once you've entered the world, but your date has been set, your time on earth predetermined. There's nothing you can do to change the contract once your here.

At widow group last night, before we started discussing sex, we talked about guilt. Guilt we had/have over our husband's dying. What could we have done differently? If we had just___ he'd still be here. I even admitted that there were moments in the hospital that I wished Joe would die. Not because I wanted him to die of course, but because so much damage had already been done to his body (total organ failure, no blood circulation to limbs, etc.) that had he survived, he would simply have been surviving, not living. And anyone who knew Joe, knew how much Joe loved living his life. He was not much of a spectator.

But still, the guilt is there that I had such thoughts at all. The guilt is also there that I didn't fight for his rights more in the ER. I remember being embarrassed by his screaming and kicking from pain. He wasn't even fully admitted, and the nurses kept telling me to try to have him "keep it down" and "he needs to be more patient." And I told those things to Joe. And in hindsight, of course he was screaming in pain! His organs were shutting down for crying out loud! And I repeatedly asked if he could have chicken pox. And I was repeatedly told no. But maybe had I pushed, they would have started treating him and he'd be ok?

But now I think about what the medium said. If there is really such a thing as this contract, then it was Joe's time to go. There was nothing I, or any doctors for that matter could do about it.

It also explains all the seemingly senseless deaths that took the husbands in widow group. And why sometimes children die.

There is a contract. We all sign it. I wonder when mine is up.

-B

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

b-
I signed on as anon. because I don't want anyone else to know who I am in this comment, I don't like to give out too much personal stuff.

I can't tell you much, but I can tell you this: My husband is an ER doctor, he does shift work. Sometimes, people just pass away on him, and he'll come home and tell me what happened (no names of course) and review what had happened, and make sure he did do everything that should have been done. Sometimes doing everything right didn't matter. The person went anyway, and he felt that he should've been able to help. He definately takes it so personally,but has said, 'when it's time, it's time."

I think that is the same thing you are saying.

On another note, I cannot imagine his nurses telling someone to keep it down. I think you should write a letter to the hospital about that.

Also, you did what you did at that time with the information you had. You didn't know what was happening. Don't fault yourself for something that was out of your control.

I feel for you.

Anonymous said...

What amazing sharing from anonymous... It's an interesting idea this contract... Does that mean there are no coincidences? no freak accidents?

Is that how psychics know our future?

Mrs. G.F. said...

I wonder if this is where religion and (for lack of a better term) other stuff collide? When a religiuos individual comforts someone who has had a loss, don't they say that it must have been his/her time? It was time for her/him to be with God. that sort of thing.

in that case, if there is more than one source that touts the same reasoning, then perhaps it is the truth. We all have a 'time.'

Very interesting concept.

b said...

Anon,
Now I am very curious as to who you are, and if you've posted here before. Regardless, I really appreciate what you had to say. Thanks for taking the time to read and post, and I hope you'll continue to do so.

M, and SM, thanks also for your comments. If you had posed this idea to me before Joe died, or even soon after he died, I would have told you it was total BS. But now.. at least it gives me some comfort, and helps make a little bit of sense to me.

((( MK ))) said...

Hey B... I'm going to need to tell you my story from this morning!

This is way off topic... but I've found a workaround for using enhanced Blogger functionality on a Mac. It's simple: you've got to use Firefox as your browser to create and edit posts, not Safari. You can download Firefox for free here: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/.

Try it out... the linking, adding images and rich text buttons are all pretty intuitive and are very easy once you get the hang of it. Play around and see what you can do.

Gnite,
Mark

ramblingmuse said...

b,

This idea of a contract...I read this book called, "Embraced by the Light" by Betty Eadie.

It's Eadie's supposed near death experience and she states a similiar idea in it.

I think her book opened my eyes to a new way of looking at life after death and how there really is no ending and how all things work together even when things seem quite random.

If you (or anyone reading this) ever reads it, let me know your thoughts on it.

b said...

Sounds like an interesting book. Maybe I'll pick it up next week.

ramblingmuse said...

It's a very simple read and pretty short book.

I saw Eadie on Oprah a long time ago, which is how I heard about the book in the first place. She doesn't strike me as a "hoax", but you never know. I'd like to think I have a healthy sense of skepticism and open-mindedness, along with good intuition. She didn't come across as *having* to tell her story, nor did she seem the type to want the spotlight. I just got the sense that she was really at peace with her "story/experience" and that she had nothing to gain or prove by sharing it. Dunno where I'm going with this, except that I think those who have a real sense of "truth" in their stories and clairvoyance are usually the ones who don't have to "advertise", if you will. And I also don't think they always come across as quirky or out there.

Anyway, keep sharing about this medium. I've been thinking about seeing one myself. Any chance they might want another client? ;-)

Take care...

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.