Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Holiday Rant

I have been hearing and reading a lot about Christmas getting the short end of the stick this year. (stick or rope? I forget) People have become very upset over the fact that Christmas trees in town are now called holiday trees, and kids aren't allowed to sing Christmas carols in school, and people are saying Happy Holiday instead of Merry Christmas.

Well, here's my response to all of that. My sons are Jewish. They are so young that they don't know what being Jewish means yet, but I am trying to teach them. This "holiday" season they have really only been exposed to Christmas. They saw Christmas trees every where they went, Christmas lights everywhere they went, Santa all over the place, and Christmas music everywhere. And in convenient and grocery stores, they have been seeing Christmas products since October!

And so what do my kids want? They want Christmas. Of course they do. Jacob begged me every day for almost a month to buy a Christmas tree and lights. And I kept explaining to him that we're Jewish, and so we'll light the menorah for Hanukkah. Finally, last week he seemed to understand that we do something different than everyone he knows. And I was excited to light the Menorah with the boys each night.

But guess what? I could not find a box of candles to put on my Menorah anywhere. I went to 4 different stores, and none of them had them. So it wasn't until tonight, the 4th night of Hanukkah, that I was able to light the Menorah with my boys. And that's only due to my mother giving me some to use.

So I don't want to hear any more about the fact that people can't say Merry Christmas anymore. Christmas is more alive than ever. But I think it's shameful that the one tradition I wanted to start with my boys, was not able to happen because no stores around me sell items for Hanukkah.

-B

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well put. There are some people I know that I would like to send this to... -m

Anonymous said...

That must have been frustrating, and it's extremely shameful that you could not find the candles. It's pretty sad. Although at the same time, I need to disagree with you about Christmas.

What's a shame is that Christmas has been commercialized. It has become one giant marketing game to take more $ from the consumer. Hence the bombardment of Christmas decorations starting after Halloween.

What I find upsetting is that people who actually celebrate Christmas aren't saying Merry Christmas to each other. I find more and more people saying have a happy holiday, when you know they are referring to Christmas. Just say it.

Happy Holidays is fine, since you are using the plural.

Now on to the whole tree debate: The idea of a holiday tree is just ridiculous. It is a Christmas tree. You would never call the Menorah anything else, and it would be disrespectful to do so.

I think ALL holidays should be embraced and acknowledged, unfortunately that is not the case. If we don't learn to appreciate what is special about other cultures and religions aren't we asking for trouble? - J

b said...

Interesting thoughts J. I agree, Christmas has become very commercialized. And I agree a Christmas tree is a Christmas tree, not a holiday tree. Many people, upon hearing that Jacob wanted a tree and lights told me I should buy a Hanukkah tree and put up Hanukkah lights. There is no such thing, and it would be disrespectful to my religion to pretend that there was just for the sake of fitting in.

But, I'm ok with the happy holiday thing. Of course I know you celebrate Christmas, so I say merry Christmas to you. But when I check out of a store with my kids in tow, and workers ask them if they've been good for Santa, or say Merry Christmas to them, that's teaching my kids that everyone celebrates Christmas, and helps cause them to want to celebrate it. And it puts me in an awkward position. I'd much rather they say, "have a happy holiday."

I think when you celebrate the dominant religion in this country, you don't necessarily see how much society expects everyone to go along with the whole notion of Christmas.

As an adult, I have no problem with someone wishing me a merry Christmas, because I am secure in my religious beliefs. But for my kids, who I'm trying to teach their religion to, this season was really out of control. And then not being able to find Hanukkah candles just topped it off :O)

Anonymous said...

Somebody at school mentioned something that really made me think. She said that Jewish kids she knows kept hearing that if they were good, Santa would fill their stocking. Well, they are Jewish, so Santa didn't come fill their stocking. The message the kids received is that they aren't good, they are bad. How sad.
-m