Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Food For Thought

When I was little, I always asked my mom what we were going to have for dinner. I would ask this question before eating breakfast. If the answer was, "A new recipe" I would immediately become upset. I needed to know exactly what I would be eating, and if I liked it or not. The only thing that upset me more than the new recipe response, was when what I was told in the morning changed before dinnertime. This would cause me to actually have a meltdown. I think that this may have had to do with my childhood being quite unpredictable. The one thing I (thought) I could count on was dinner.

Why am I writing about this now? Because I realize that I still do this. I decide in the morning what I'll be eating for dinner, and whatever I pick sticks. I don't let myself change my original idea, even if I'm not hungry. Does anyone else do this? I have been struggling with the reason that I do this, and tonight it clicked for me; it's the same as when I was a kid. It's all about having some type of control when everything else seems pretty much outside of my control.

So now I just have to train myself to pick healthy choices for dinner when I wake up in the morning. Yogurt anyone?

-B

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That makes a lot of sense. And yes other people do that too! MK starts talking about dinner before we've finish breakfast...it makes me crazy!

Now, we have a little menu for the week and he knows what were eating most nights No more dinner questions at breakfast! Like tonight is Island teriaki marinated pork with grape tomatoes, shallots and capers along with couscous. Yummy!

b said...

It took me a very long time to figure out who MK is, but I think I figured it out :O)

The menu for the week is a great idea. Would also help prevent getting takeout too much.

This morning I woke up and settled on corn flakes for dinner. I just did the eliptical for 30 minutes, so I feel pretty good about that dinner choice.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Good job getting on the elliptical - got back on the bike for a one day roll, and now I'm off again!

As for dinner, I'm lucky if I think about what I'm eating 5 minutes before I'm serving it. So I guess I don't get stuck on an idea... In my mind, there are no ideas to be had. :o) -m