Sunday, February 26, 2006







Venturing Out

Obviously I am in need of a change. Last week my sister really hurt my feelings by saying that based on how upset I got when NB (anonymous) disappeared maybe I wasn't as ready to date as I thought I was.

And while I still don't totally agree with her, I think in some ways she may be right. (Isn't she always?) Before I can really share myself with another person, shouldn't I know who I am first?

I met Joe when I was 15 years old. I became a widow at 29 years old. Who am I now? What are my likes, my needs? I was so dependent on Joe for giving me an identity. I was his wife. I am a mother. I am a teacher. But I need to go deeper. I need to feel good about being alone. I need to accept the fact that this may be my life for quite some time, and I'd better start living it before it's too late.

So I'm venturing out. I'm taking a break from dating (except for the guy R is fixing me up with.) I guess I should say I'm taking a break from internet dating. I am going to put my energy elsewhere. I am really focused on losing weight. I am going to focus on my students, and my teaching practices. I am going to try to get some pleasure out of being with my kids every day. I am going to finish my masters degree (2 classes to go!)

and.... I am now a full fledged consultant for an amazing company that caters to making homes more beautiful. I found out that legally, I am not allowed to share the name of the company here on my blog. But if you want more info, let me know how to contact you. I will be going to at home parties selling the product, as well as trying to get new people to host parties, and become consultants.

When I went to K in Texas's house last week, I was struck by how beautiful everything was. It was as if it came from a catalog. And it did! She has worked for this company for a few years, and absolutely loves it. I think I will be good at it because I have fallen in love with the product. I think it will be good for me, because it will be one more step towards my independence.

I am on my way to being on my way.

I am venturing out.

-b

12 comments:

4texans said...

Sounds like a good plan...maybe when you feel right with yourself, you will feel better about dating again.

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way after my last break up.

Just forget about dating, sort yourself out, and if the right one comes along then let it happen.

The best things in life come when you're not looking for them. It's kind of like trying to catch a bird. Hold food in your hand and let it come to you. Try to catch it and it will always flee from you.

I like to view life as that little bird because I like birds. :-)

ramblingmuse said...

I hear ya about really getting to know yourself at the core. Patience! Perseverence! And Time! Just really trust the process!

Sounds like you've got some good areas to put your enery into. We'll be here to cheer you on!

OO...looking forward to hearing details about the job!

Mrs. G.F. said...

It makes me think of that song from Pink

"I'm coming out so you better get this party started.."

Maybe it could be your theme song!! After I chcek my fav blogs, I am going to check out more online about your new venture, sounds so exciting!

Good for you, working on the inside, nothing is wrong with that. Navy Boy told me once that one of the most attractive qualities in a women is confidence. That speaks volumes.

:)

M said...

You can do it! You are amazing! There are lots of us beside you when you're not sure... :o)

Anonymous said...

Very curious......
Call me soon to fill me in.

J.Rowe said...

I think this is the best choice you've made in awhile. Although, I don't think you need to stop dating all together for many reasons. I'll share them with you in person. I'm glad you are going out on the date that R set up. Although, I do understand the need for a break.

I'm excited for you as you take the time to rediscover your new self. I think this is good and you'll be much happier in the long run.

J.Rowe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J.Rowe said...

Last comment was me...I posted my comment twice. Sorry.

Leslie said...

You sound really comfortable with your decision about dating. You know what's best for you.
As far as your new business goes, can you tell me if it has the word "Living" in it? It sounds like a line I'm familiar with, just wondering if it's the same thing. If so, I love their stuff.

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I'm going to answer for B...you are right on! :)

I for one am completely thrilled!

b said...

Leslie, as Kelly already said, you've got it.

I will email you the info. You are more than welcome to come to the launch party!

Also, I went to the place that you recommended with my boys yesterday. I loved it! And they loved it! I plan on going back next weekend.