Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

I am no film critic, but this movie is by far, the best movie I've seen in a very long time. I can't stop replaying it in my head. It was heartbreakingly beautiful. You must go see it. That's my review :O)

Here's a funny thing that happened while at Brokeback Mountain: Kelly and I were the first people to get seats in the stadium theatre. We sat pretty much in the center of the theatre, in the center of the row.

In walks a couple, and out of all the seats in the whole theatre, they sit directly in front of us. No big deal, we move over.

Maybe 25 more people come in and sit all over the theatre.

The movie starts. In walks a couple. Out of the hundreds of seats in the theatre, where do they choose to sit? Next to me! Leaving no space in between us. If the theatre was crowded, this would make sense to me, but it was empty! I had to move my purse, and take my arm off the armrest. Bizarre, I tell you.

Luckily, I got lost in the movie after about 20 minutes. But really. What the heck?

-b

8 comments:

Pynchon said...

"Brokeback Mountain" is a really great film.

Sorry you had such as*holes in the cinema with you. Trust me, they exist the world over.

ramblingmuse said...

What an interesting movie-going experience! This sounds like it should be a Seinfeld episode. I mean, isn't there an unwritten rule of etiquette about choosing seats in movie theatres? Weird...!

This weekend we got on the topic of this movie, too. I plan to see it this week. I just gotta after everyone I know who saw it gave it the thumbs up, and now you too.

Mrs. G.F. said...

Ick, the question is, would you choose to sit there? Right next to someone? I certainly wouldn't.

b said...

Glad you all agree. After they sat down, Kelly muttered, "how weird," loudly enough for them to hear.

Of course one of my first thoughts was, "Oh, here's something I can write in my blog." It's a sickness, pure and simple.

Leslie, have you seen "Boys Don't Cry?" I left the theatre with a similar feeling as I did when I saw Brokeback Mountain. If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend renting it.

StringMan said...

That is weird about people sitting next to you like that, when there are plenty of other seats.

I guess you could consider it flattery, since you are clearly not repulsive enough to repel them :)

Anonymous said...

You should feel fortunate that so many people want to be near you. People will never sit next to me when I am riding on a bus. They will fill every empty seat except for the one next to me, and then start standing and grabbing the little handle things as the bus continues to fill up.

b said...

Owen, that's because of your unfortunate problem. You know what it is. Maybe someday they'll find a cure. Who is they? I'm not sure. Maybe someday someone will take pity on you and start working towards a cure.

On a different note, sorry I nixed seeing this movie when I was with you and Charles. It was far superior to King Kong.

M said...

Can't wait to go see the movie!

If I were a stranger in that movie theatre, I definitely would have sat right next to you!