Friday, February 03, 2006

Creatures Of Habit

An odd thing happened to me this afternoon, and it threw me off a bit.

First, I must backtrack to this morning. I gave myself a "time out" in my bedroom, because Joshua was having the temper tantrum from hell in the kitchen, and Jacob was whining in the living room. I simply couldn't take it, so I decided that the best thing for all parties was for me to go upstairs for 5 minutes.

My cat, Scout raced me up the stairs, and jumped up onto the bathroom sink. This is her usual routine, because for some reason she loves drinking out of the faucet. I figured I'd turn the faucet on, take my time out, and turn the faucet off.

Well, you've probably figured out what happened next. Yes, I 100% forgot that the faucet was running, and I left for work for the day.

We got home at 4:00 and I went upstairs to use the bathroom. Halfway up the stairs I hear it. Water streaming into the sink. My heart just about sank into my stomach, and I sprinted (yes, I sprinted) up the rest of the stairs.

Thankfully, the drain must be pretty clear because the water didn't overflow. But it the sink was about halfway filled.

Relieved, I picked up the phone. Who was I going to call? Joe.

Yes, I thought Joe would enjoy hearing about my stupidity. And just as quickly as I picked up the phone, I realized that I couldn't call Joe. And of course, I started to cry.

It was really surprising to me that my gut instinct was still to call him. I'm still processing that. And it still breaks my heart to think that I can't call him. And I wonder if either of those things will ever fade away.

Mel and her girls came to play a little bit later, and somehow (how did it happen?) Mel knocked off the cover to the smoke detector downstairs. And out of the smoke detector fell a penny. Supposedly finding random pennies is supposed to be a sign from the dead that they are with you. The medium had told me that Joe does that all the time, but I never notice. This one, I noticed. Because how often does a penny fall from a smoke detector?

So I guess Joe was telling me that I didn't need to call him on the phone, because he saw the whole thing. And maybe, just maybe, he had something to do with me not coming home to a flood.

b

5 comments:

ramblingmuse said...

Wow. Not sure what to say...

I do that too sometimes. Been years since my dad passed and sometimes I have moments when I just instinctually think, "I gotta tell dad this...", but then realize I can't. Or can I? You know?

As for the penny and the flooding...I truly believe miracles happen all the time. We sometimes get caught up in the day to day and don't realize there truly is divine intervention at work around us.

Like I've said before...there are too many random quinky dinks to just be circumstancial.

*hugs*

M said...

Sigh...

I definitely believe it was Joe. He's having a good laugh on you. And he definitely kept the flood from happening.

As for how the cover fell off, it's when I shut (slammed) the door. :o)

Mrs. G.F. said...

CRAZY!!

How the heck can a penny be in a smoke detector????? That definately is something.

And even the cover falling off is bizarre.

So cool.

But, so sad you were missing Joe. ((b))

Highlandgal said...

You tell stories so well. It's a pleasure reading them.

Anonymous said...

Chills never ending chills ...He is here we know it....and he will continue to be here....N