Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Austin Haiku

Drinking mimosas
Laughter ringing in the air
Just look at us now

The haiku basically sums up my weekend in Austin. I was with 4 widow friends that I met almost a year ago through the young widow board. We realized this weekend that we are the 5,4,3,2,1 widow posse. Kelly has been widowed for 5 years, Angel 4 years, Judy 3 years, I am almost at 2 years, and Jen just passed 1 year.

We are all in different stages of grieving, and those further out are able to give hope to those of us not so far out. Two are in very serious relationships, that will most likely lead to marriage. Two of us are dealing with the hell that is dating. One of us is not ready to begin dating, but thinks she can see it on the horizon.

Two of us lost our husbands while pregnant, two of us lost our husbands very suddenly, two of us know the hell that is cancer.

The weekend was spent laughing, drinking, eating (screw Atkins) talking, and crying (during the movie). It was exciting, relaxing, and memorable.

I can't wait for the next gathering of the widow posse.

Kelly, you were an excellent hostess. Thank you.

-b

7 comments:

ramblingmuse said...

Glad you're back and posting! :-)

Mimosas...mmm...

Glad you had a good time! Girlfriends are priceless, aren't they?

Highlandgal said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I'm glad you took the time for yourself.

Haikus are contagious, aren't they? lol

b said...

Girlfriends are precious, and haiku are contagious! One day at school Patrick and I tried to speak only in haiku. It was not as hard as you'd think, and lots of fun!

b said...

Aww, thanks! I check in on your blog all the time too now. I'm really hoping your friends pull through :O(

Mrs. G.F. said...

So glad you had a good time!!

It must have been amazing to be without your children, and to be able to relate to people who have been through simliar things.


I missed hearing from you!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your Haiku (this and the others)...so perfect!! I may have to try my hand at writing a few as well.

I miss you and everyone else already...thank you for braving the Austin cold and coming to hang out with me!! :)

M said...

I agree. Screw Atkins. You needed to relax and have FUN! Well deserved I might add.

Glad you're home too. :o)

P.S. I'm SO sorry to miss you and Patrick speaking in haiku all day. Maybe I shouldn't go to third????? :o)