Thursday, February 23, 2006

Live In The Moment

I can honestly say that I did that this afternoon.

While Josh seemed better this morning, he awoke from his morning nap with a 102 temp. This cancelled any ideas that I had for us going out this afternoon.

But I took your advice. I lived in the moment, and ended up having a really good day. Part of my attitude change I think has to do with my diet change. I really hated the Atkins diet. I hated every minute of it, and I really think it was messing with my brain. I joined Weight Watchers online last night, and feel so much better about it. I can actually eat foods that I like again, but just need to do so in moderation.

Also, last week was such a hard one for me, it was hard to come out of that funk.

Today was the first time in a while that I felt genuinally happy, despite Josh being sick.

Here's what we did:
-made a fort (cool idea, LW)
-"ice skated" on our hardwood floors
-played dress up
-played with dolls (sorry Brett)
-read tons of books
-looked at photo albums
-made homemade pizza

The last one was so cool. We made the dough from scratch, and then I gave each boy their own dough ball, and toppings to put on it. Here are some pics:

shaping the dough






Josh putting sauce on his dough













Adding the cheese








The finished product


The funniest part to me was while we were eating dinner. I asked Jacob what his favorite part of the day was. His answer? "The ice cream truck."
"The ice cream truck?" I asked.
"Yes. On Dora." (That would be Dora the Explorer)
Glad to know I made such an impact :O)

-b

11 comments:

ramblingmuse said...

Ha ha! I love Jacob's comment about the ice cream truck! Too funny!

I used to 'ice skate' in the kitchen as a kid too. I thought that was the coolest thing to do! And the fort and dress up and homemade pizzas...your day sure makes me miss my nieces and nephews! I'm about due for a trip home. I will look into planning it now. :-)

-RM

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of something Billy Connolly said in one of his stand-up gigs.

He was talking about how he had taken his kids on holiday back to Scotland and they had an awesome time watching trout, and staying in a real castle, and making pretend Dragon's nests. Then he asked them what the best part of the holiday was and after much debate one of the kids, acting spokesperson, said "Sesame Street" which was a tape in the caravan they had.

I almost pissed myself laughing.

Kids are funny like that. I don't think that Dora was his favourite part of the day though. I'd say it was just a small part of the day he enjoyed and being forced to choose one part of the day that was the best he could think of.

J.Rowe said...

Sounds like a great day! I especially like the pizzas that must have been a lot of fun. Nice job with the photos: ) Glad you stopped the Atkins...it's to extreme. I think you'll do well with WW. Good for you! I hope the little guy is feeling better.

Mrs. G.F. said...

LOL

Glad you made a great day out of staying at home. Living in the moment, attitude, it's amazing how great things are when we keep that up!

Why is it so hard to do it consistently??

Glad your off Atkins, all things in moderation is a better lifestyle choice in my opinion. Now you can save up and have your wine!! And if you work out, you get more points..

(my sister-in-law does weight watchers)

Highlandgal said...

Yay! Another Weight Watcher! You'll be much happier now. It's so much more like real life eating.

Glad you had a great day. We all need an occasional attitude adjustment. I had mine this weekend. It makes me appreciate my time with my family so much more.

Anonymous said...

Cool.

For a quicker spur of the moment pizza day, use mini pita bread cut in half.

Anonymous said...

Oh, & ice skating can be done with paper plates under your feet to make them slip more...

4texans said...

What a great day! We love to make homemade pizza, too.

Erin said...

OH, that sounds like such fun!!!

Anonymous said...

You are a great mom. I am glad they have you and that you have them. When you hit another day that seems impossible, pull up the picture of those two home-made pizzas and remember what an amazing job you are doing raising your boys.

M said...

A day of fun! Good for you, and them. Sounds like a great time! LOVE Jacob's comment. Sounds about right. :o)