Wednesday, June 28, 2006

On scents, suitcases, trips and memories

How's that for a title?

I am going on a trip this weekend with Jacob. We are flying to Baltimore, MD, for a gathering of young widows, widowers, and chikdren. It was organized by Pentha through the YWBB. I've been to other gatherings across the country through this site, but never one meant for children. Jacob will be taking his first plane ride, and he will be staying in his first hotel. He will also get to socialize with twenty something kids that are all missing one parent. I am very much looking forward to this trip, but am a bit anxious about the logistics of getting from point A to point B with all our stuff, and a 3 year old.

I went to pull out a suitcase to pack today, and ended up pulling out a suitcase I've never used before. It was one that Joe had used for a trip 3 weeks before he died. And in true Joe fashion, it still contained his clothes/money/memorabilia. And most importantly, it still contained his scent.

Oh god, how I've missed his scent. I used to hug him tightly every night and just inhale him. How wild that his scent would still be so powerful 2 years after he's been gone. How wild that just opening up a suitcase could release a string of memories.

How perfect is it that I will pack our clothes in a suitcase filled with Joe's scent as we travel to meet others who would also give anything to smell their missing family member.

I'm not sure if I will have time to post anything tomorrow, and I'm leaving my laptop at home for the weekend. So don't be alarmed if you don't see any posts from me before Sunday night.
I plan on enjoying my time with my son, reading my books, getting to know new friends, and every once in a while, taking the time to inhale my husband's scent.

BTW, Josh will be having the weekend of his dreams with his grandparents. And no, they are not charging me. At least I don't think they are!

-b

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clothes, money and his scent? What a find!

GTG - time to check out T's suitcases.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome that you get to smell him again!! Have a wonderful weekend!

Leslie said...

It's like you found a secret little present finding that suitcase still all packed just the way he left it.
Have a good weekend.

Mrs. G.F. said...

(tears) Oh....I love Navy Boy's smell. When he left for japan, I stole a shirt he had worn and keep it hidden under my pillow. And, everytime we were separated I would do it.

I so get the scent thing.

How amazing that it is there, it's been there waiting for you to find it.

I hope all your stuff smells like it.

Have a great time.

Mrs. G.F. said...

oops, I meant

I hope your stuff smells like HIM.

Sorry. :)

Dial-Up Princess said...

Nice find. Enjoy your trip :)

Alicia said...

Good thing I don't believe in signs, or I would be very upset by what I found in our daypack: poison. Tiny, crunched-up, blue-green bits of mouse bait. I guess some uninvited rodent thought the backpack was a nice venue for its last supper.

Sigh.

As I said, it's a good thing I don't believe in signs, or I'd read that as a bad omen for the weekend, especially in light of the treasure B found.

See you there, B! I hope to leave the house in 2 hours.

M said...

I'm glad you decided to grab Joe's suitcase instead of buying a new one. :o)

I know you're both going to have a great time! :o)

Erin said...

That is one amazing suitcase surprise! I can't wait to hear all about your trip! Hope you and Jacob have fun!

Mrs. G.F. said...

B-
Can't wait to read all about it..I am getting ready to sign off for the evening...I will catch up with you via your blog when I am up to it.

I hope it was a great time.

SM (aka "D")

MacGuffin said...

I really love the suitcase thing. It's surprisingly beautiful to hear about something like that. It's one of those things that, but for the circumstances, would be mundane, even perhaps irritating. ("Why the hell can't you learn to unpack your suitcase after a trip like an adult?") But in the context of all that's happened, it becomes significant and a little transcendent. Thanks for sharing it with us.