Saturday, June 03, 2006

Reasons # 286, and 287 of Why I Love My Class

As you may or may not know, I was home yesterday because Jacob was sick (with coxsackie, of course). Yesterday at school was the book fair, which is a day that kids bring money to school, and buy books that they want, instead of taking them out of the library.

According to Patrick, and Molly (The Librarian), My class wanted to find the perfect book to buy for me! And then they all pooled their money and bought me one. Some gave more money than others, but when asked who the book was from, they replied, "It's from all of us." There was change to be handed back, and none of them cared who got it. Finally, Molly told them that whoever paid the most, should get the change. The class then turned and pointed to one girl.

Isn't that such a sweet story?

And another thing that happened while I was gone, was that while working on group projects, one group had an argument. Feelings were hurt, and group work stopped. Patrick then watched in amazement as the whole group went into the hall, sat in a circle, and talked out their problems. But the coolest part was that they used a pencil to speak. Whoever was holding the pencil was the only one allowed to speak. And they resolved the problem all on their own, without any adult help!

How am I going to let this class go?

-b

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! I think they have learned many things from you this year.

P.S. Which book did they choose for you?

Anonymous said...

Totally sweet...yes, I'd also like to hear what they selected for you!

And it sounds like you've learned a lot from them as well. That pencil trick sounds pretty effective!

b said...

I'll let you know what they picked on Monday. I'm excited to find out.

Leslie said...

They sound like a great bunch of kids. It really makes me miss teaching. What grade is it? I want to say fourth, I remember you mentioning it before but can't recall.

b said...

Leslie,
they are in the third grade, but I taught them for two years.

ramblingmuse said...

Hey, that's neat! What a great bunch of kids. :-)

I'm curious to know what they picked out for you, too.

Dial-Up Princess said...

Thats cool. Am curious to see what they got....:)

Anonymous said...

So b, will you go back to 2nd grade next year, or continue with 3rd?

I know my nephews' school does a progressive program where each class is with the teacher for two years, and then the teachers sort of start over. So they teach 2nd grade one year, then 3rd, then back to 2nd. So they keep the same core group for two years. Same goes for the 4th and 5th grades.

Just curious...

b said...

I'll be staying in the 3rd grade. I taught 2nd grade for about 7 years, and was ready for a change. And I loved my class so much last year, I requested to move up to third with them.

Once you move up a grade, it's hard to go back down. (as someone who has taught k, 1, 2 and now 3, I feel like I can fairly make that statement!)

M said...

I will second the point that your class is AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Maybe they should all be kept back? :o)

Highlandgal said...

Wow, what wonderful students!

StringMan said...

I think it must all stem for their teacher. The impromptu meeting in the hall was sweet.