Wednesday, June 14, 2006

June 14th

eight years ago today
I walked down that long aisle
and became your wife

We exchanged vows
having no idea that we
would face all of them

for richer or poorer
yep, did that one

in sickness and in health
yep, covered that one too

til death do we part
unfortunately, we got that one too

My favorite anniversary memory
is our 5 year anniversary

3 years ago today

That is the day
our son
entered the world

Could there be
a better gift than that?

We joked that
we would never celebrate our anniversary again
because Jacob's birthday
would always trump it

but
we never celebrated
an anniversary again
because you were dead
before Jacob turned 1

you were dead
before Jacob turned 1

you were dead
before Jacob turned 1

you were dead
before Jacob turned 1

maybe if I say it enough
it will start to sink in that
it's true

You have missed so much

we now have a 3 year old son
and he is a remarkable boy

thank you for giving me that last anniversary present
for that I will always be grateful

happy anniversary, Joe
happy birthday, Jacob

10 comments:

Mrs. G.F. said...

oh my.

:sniff:

Some of our dates coincide, today is Navy Boy's birthday.

Happy Birthday Jacob.

Huge hugs B.

Maisy said...

Beautiful, gut wrenching poem B.

Happy, happy birthday to Jacob. Oh to be 3 and innocent and full of fun and joy and to have the best Mum. (You are the best Mum for Jacob, I'm the best Mum for my kids - see, works for everyone!)

Hugs and sighs for you B.

Hugs and sighs.

Ali

ramblingmuse said...

:-(

What a bittersweet time for you, b.

*hugs*

Happy birthday to Jacob!

And, happy anniversary to you and Joe. I say that to celebrate your relationship and time together, and not to be insensitive. Hope that makes sense?

Be well!

-RM

emotional girl said...

trying to write thru the tears.

beautiful poem, you are so gifted.

Happy Birthday Jacob!!

Happy Anniversary, B, I know Joe will give you a sign that he remembers as well and that he's celebrating with you through your heart.

Dial-Up Princess said...

Happy Bday , Jacob and a *hug* to you, B.

M said...

You ARE an amazing poet. I know Joe can read this, if not in print, through your heart.

Jacob is certainly an amazing anniversary present - every year. :o)

Love you.

D said...

in whatever way possible - hope you have a nice day!

Leslie said...

As painful as it is without Joe I hope you are able to have a happy day celebrating Jacob's b'day and remembering many wonderful times with Joe.

Erin said...

That is a very deep and wonderful poem. What a great anniversary present.

Anonymous said...

I don't even know you and I'm crying! Stay strong and always remember the wonderful moments.