Saturday, March 04, 2006

Special Time

As any mother of more than one child knows, having alone time with just one is very rare. When I was a kid, my mother would have "special time" with us. She would take just one of the three of us out for the day. For my sister and I, that would entail lunch in Boston, and seeing the Boston Ballet. Frankly, I'm not sure what it entailed for my brother, but I assume they did something slightly cultural.

I'm not sure how often I had "special time" with my mother. My sister can probably help me out here. It may have only been once a year. But the point is, I remember it. Having my mother all to myself, going to do something exciting. It was always a nice day.

Today I had my very first "special time" with Jacob. Josh went to his babysitter's house, and Jacob and I headed out. We went to Bertucci's for lunch which was a special treat. Jacob got his very own kid's pizza. He was so excited.

We then went to his first movie, Curious George. They sell the cutest little kid snack trays at the movies. A little bag of popcorn, a drink, and some candy (I threw away the candy; it was gross looking). He sat in his own seat, and did not say a word until close to the end. At which point he announced that he was ready to leave. As we walked out of the movie theatre, we saw a poster for Curious George. Jacob pointed to it and said, "Look mom, a monkey!" So who knows if he understood any of the movie!

But, he did understand that he had "special time" with mom. And hopefully he will remember this day as fondly as I will.

-b

7 comments:

M said...

Good for both of you! What an awesome day! :o)

J.Rowe said...

I'm so glad you both had a good time. It was truly a special day for both of you. I'm sure he'll remember his special days with you as fondly as you remember your own special days with your mom. What a nice tradition to start.

On another note...how was the movie?

Mel, I meant to ask you last night, did you see it too?

Mrs. G.F. said...

Sounds like a great date. :)

I just started doing the same kind of thing. It is a blast being one on one, and so much easier.

They will definately love the alone time with you; it will be so special, and memorable.

:)

Mrs. G.F. said...

PS You should ask your Mom and brother about what they did; might give you some other ideas. ;)

M said...

J - I thought the movie was great! especially the sound track. :o)

b said...

Movie was very cute. i enjoyed it a lot. But mostly enjoyed watching Jacob watching it.

Anonymous said...

Special time is so imporant. I remember taking Zoe to see the show Annie at the Wang center and actually cried watching her.