Friday, March 17, 2006

Raising My Boys With Religion

Tonight, M from widow group hosted RAD, myself, and our kids for a shabbat (sabbath) dinner. We sang songs, said prayers, and shared a delicious meal. It was so cool to me to look down at my boys as they covered their eyes during the lighting of the candles, and to listen to Jacob as he tried to sing along to the songs that were in a foreign language.

I felt like I was giving them both a gift; teaching them a bit about their heritage, and sharing with them my favorite ritual from childhood. Before we sat down, M asked me if I had any favorite songs. I named one that my family sang every Friday night for my entire childhood. I haven't sung it in at least 15 years, but as soon as M started singing, the words came to me like it was just yesterday. And then Jacob joined in, and I got tears in my eyes picturing his children one day singing the same words.

To me religion is less about God, and different beliefs, and more about traditions. Creating traditions, and passing old traditions down.

Tonight I passed down a tradition, as well as started a new one. Tonight I gave my boys the best gift I could give them.

Thanks M, for offering this gift to me.

-b


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rituals with family and friends are so beautiful. Thank-you for sharing this one. The boys are wonderful. Let's do it again!

StringMan said...

It's one of many gifts you are giving them. Keep up the good work!

ramblingmuse said...

I love moments like this. A moment when you realize how significant it really is.

:-)

b said...

I know Jen. Aren't they the best?

M, I would love to do it on a regular basis. I'm happy to host next time, but the food will not be nearly as good!

Stringman, Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Walt, what's your memory?

RM, I completely agree.

M said...

Just as you remember those Friday nights from your childhood, the boys will remember there's.

Those are the things from my childhood that I talk about most. The traditions and rituals that were created. They don't have to be big. I often say, "Remember when we always..." I can't drive down Route 28 on the Cape without hearing the same stories (again and again) from R about the two weeks in the summer when he was a kid.

You are absolutely right. You are giving them a gift. :o)

Mrs. G.F. said...

I do believe that traditions keep us connected, I am so glad for you and your boys re-connecting with your faith and heritage.

What a great friend to host it. :)

Anonymous said...

At this poing for me, religion is all about the traditions. I have no idea what I believe re: G-D. And am not willing to address it now.

I always took comfort in traditions. And I suppose I still do.

It was a calm, relaxing evening. So glad our families were able to share shabbat together.

I too would host as well. No promises on the food or the chaos level in our own house which can escalate easily...

We almost always spend shabbat with another family. I find it much more enjoyable to be with a larger group.

And, as anticipated, I crashed pretty early when we got home.

BTW, today I am again fighting off another potential headache/migraine--their frequency has been building up again.

Rats.

allison said...

Sounds like a great evening. I think you're right about the traditions involved in religious holidays. They're what sticks with you, and what you want your children to do with their children someday.