Monday, March 20, 2006

So This is Why I became a Teacher :O)

I think most teachers go into teaching to make a difference in the lives of children. We hope that we can reach a few seemingly unreachable kids, and help them become kids who love school, and want to, as a result, become life-long learners.

Today I received an essay written by a student that I taught 6 years ago. He is now applying to private high schools, and had to write an essay with the application. Here was the essay question:

"Learning experiences come in many different forms. Describe an experience that has had a profound effect on you and what the experience taught you."

and here is his answer:

An experience that has had a profound effect on me was my experience in elementary school with a special teacher. Mrs. B, my teacher always encouraged me and helped me to reach my full potential. She knew that I was capable of excelling academically. She also knew I was a bit shy and not a risk taker. She placed me in a challenge spelling and challenge math group where only a few other students were placed. She pushed me to do well and because of her I became a risk taker in her class.

I continued to keep in touch with Mrs. B since my sister still attended the school. Mrs. B's son had just turned 10 months old, and she was expecting another son in two months, when her 31 year old husband unexpectedly died, leaving Mrs. B alone with her son, and another one on the way.

Since Mrs. B had a profound effect on me during my school year with her, I knew I had to give something back to her during this difficult time in her life. I bought her a US savings bond, out of money I had received for my bar mitzvah. I know that it was only a small token of appreciation of everything she had done for me, but for me this was important.

From this experience I have learned that if someone shows just a little interest in you it goes a long way, and will last a lifetime. Throughout my nine years in school I have realized that not everybody reaches out to help, and when someone does you should seize it and build on it.

I have learned it only takes one person to make a big difference in someone's life.

How cool is that? Of course I cried when I got it :O)

b


12 comments:

b said...

aw, thanks! You're fast, Rebecca. I literally just posted this!

b said...

Walt and Jen,
Thanks for your kind words. This was a really nice present. Usually my students hit puberty, and won't even acknowledge me any more (which is totally normal.) And in fact, the boy who wrote this barely says 2 words to me when I run into him. But it's so nice to hear that I did effect him in some way.

Hope he gets into the school!

Highlandgal said...

Very touching essay. You should be really proud.

StringMan said...

What an incredible tribute, b! I'm with Walt: I'm willing to bet that this student is not the only one you've inspired and on whom you've had a profound effect. These are never isolated incidents. It's great that this one was able to communicate it to you. Others will just always remember you fondly.

M said...

He is not the only student B has inspired at all! He is one in a list of many. She touches all that she works with. Her students are very lucky to have her (and they know it:o).

Mrs. G.F. said...

Beautiful.

:)

The best reason to be a teacher.

So glad you got feedback from one of the many students you've touched.

J.Rowe said...

Wow, I bet you felt pretty awesome after reading his essay.

ramblingmuse said...

Weird...I posted last night, but it's not here...

Anyway, I teared up reading this. :-) Teachers really are very precious.

Truly awesome, B! These are the moments that make all the bad days worth it!

-RM

Leslie said...

Well I cried too. That is really sweet and well written too.

Gunnella said...

Oh that's gorgeous!! Incredibly precious! :-)

4texans said...

All I can say is 'WOW'! What an impact you made on your student. It is very well written, too.

Dial-Up Princess said...

That was a great post. :)