Saturday, March 11, 2006

Blind Date
(sorry SM, stole your heading)

Today I had a blind date with Slacker Mom. We have been reading/commenting on each other's blogs since we began them in November. Both of our blogs are so open emotionally, that I think I can speak for both of us in saying that we felt like we knew each other pretty well, even though we had never spoken on the phone, or met in person.

But still, it was nerve racking driving to her house, located one state north of mine. What if we had nothing to say in person? What if we just didn't click? What if our kids didn't get along? What will she think of me? What if there's a reason blogs are supposed to stay relatively anonymous?

As soon as I got to her (beautiful) house, I was welcomed with a huge hug. And it was just as I had hoped. We really did know each other. Although, it was funny that I had no idea what her kids' names were!

Despite Jacob being a bit difficult (what do you do about a kid who's scared of the wind? Seriously, I'll take any/all suggestions) we managed to have a really nice time together. She was so warm and welcoming in person, just as she appears to be on her blog. And her kids are adorable!

She made us a delicious lunch, and was an excellent hostess all around.

It was so cool to meet her in person, and to know that she was exactly how I perceived her to be: kind, funny, easy going, and pretty :O)

Slacker Mom is not the first person that I've met through the internet. Between online dating, and the widow board, I have met many people. Some have not turned out to be the way I expected them to be. But for the most part, the internet has introduced to me to some really amazing people; some of whom I now consider to be amongst my closest friends.

I am hopeful that today's meeting was just the beginning of such a friendship.

Thanks again, SM!

7 comments:

Mrs. G.F. said...

Your welcome!!

It was fun today. You are going to have to figure out something about the wind thing. :) Maybe when you get to go to the beach this summer...it's always windy there... and it's always fun there too.

Even though we met, your blog still has the same "voice" in my head that I had originally, but now I do have the face.

You do have the personality you express on your blog as well. I know you are more experienced at meeting people online, but it was a new one for me, and well worth it. :)

I really do have to get off the computer, and pay attention to the man. By the way, I did give him the leftover pizza for supper. LOL :)

b said...

Kristi,

I'm all for it! Can't wait to meet you on the 23rd!

M said...

Does sound great! Glad you all had fun! Would love to join the fun some time! :o)

Maybe we should put a fan in the house for J so he can get used to the "wind".

J.Rowe said...

I'm happy you had the chance to meet up with SM. It sounds like you both enjoyed each other's company.

allison said...

That's awesome that you two had such a great time. Isn't it nice to meet someone you immediately click with? Glad it went well!

Dial-Up Princess said...

Its great it went well. :)

ramblingmuse said...

Catching up on my blogs.

How wonderful! :-)