Monday, May 29, 2006

Random Thoughts and Observations About My Weekend In NYC

  • The pizza in NYC is far superior to pizza here. Why is that? As I was eating my second slice of mushroom pizza last night, my sister asked me if the pizza was being added to the pros side of the list for moving to NY. The answer was, absolutely. If you have never eaten pizza there, you don't know what you are missing. (same goes for bagels.)
  • My sister and brother-in-law talk about Joe a lot. They talked about him to the boys when I was upstairs. (I overheard.) They talked about him to each other, and they talked about him to me. They told the boys really funny stories about Joe, and shared funny memories with me over dinner. Other people in my life talk about Joe, but only after I bring him up. It's almost as if people are afraid to bring him up, or just don't think to. But my sister and her husband brought him up on their own. And that made me really happy.
  • When my kids woke up at 5:40 am, and I didn't want them to wake up the household, we went out on a walk. And most places we walked by were open! And we weren't the only ones out, which was slightly unfortunate because none of us were dressed. But mostly it was very cool.
  • My sons loved playing with their cousin.
  • I loved hanging out with my sister and her family.
  • My nephew is so adorable, and it made me sad that he didn't really know me/trust me.
  • The parks in NYC are so beautiful. The trees are gigantic and fun to play hide and seek with.
  • I don't dress anything like most of the women I saw.
  • I love taking long walks with my sister and the boys.
  • Having a slush stand on the corner of your street is perfect for hot summer nights.
  • Nothing beats being with family.
  • I could quite possibly become a New Yorker. (But no decision will be made until September!!!!!!)
-b

10 comments:

M said...

I say this with a heavy heart, but I am truly happy that you had such a great time. I am also happy that if you do choose to move that there are lots of positives (other than your sister of course) to move to. :o)

P.S. How did the other women dress?

Maisy said...

Great to hear you had such a good weekend in NYC.

Ali

StringMan said...

I would love to live in NYC. I used to commute to NYC 2 or 3 times each month (to visit the 'home' office), and loved walking around the neighborhood streets on summer nights, just watching 'life' happen. Glad you've had a great time there with your family.

ramblingmuse said...

Hey,

Glad you had a great time in NYC. I love the fact that the city never sleeps. I miss wandering into a random coffee shop at 2 or 3 in the morning, and all the people watching - oh my! :-)

Good luck with the decision!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you and the boys were able to have a wonderful family weekend!! You much deserved it!

I would love to know what makes the NY bagels so much better and also the pizza! I have tasted many across the country and have always wondered if someone could put it into words.

I also agree with Mel, tell us how they dress so us suburban Mom's can compare.

MacGuffin said...

1. I'm with you on the bagels.

2. I don't get the pizza thing. But then, I'm from another region of the country entirely. I don't think the style of pizza popular here is ever going to be my favorite.

3. How can anyone be mystified as to how women in NYC dress? I have such things indelibly etched in my memories of the city. I'd almost move there just for that.

Oh, and:

4. Don't know if you noticed, but they root for the wrong ball team down there. If you ever do move, please be sure not to let the boys come under questionable influences.

b said...

Macguffin,

When The day after Jacob was born, Joe dressed him in a Red Sox onesie, and they watched their first Red Sox game together.

During that game Joe announced that he didn't care if Jacob ended up being gay. What would upset him far more was if Jacob ended up being a fan of the Yankees :O)

So no worries.

Also, a list will be coming out soon of why living here is better than there. The decision is far from being final.

Anonymous said...

I dunno..this sounds suspiciously swayed towards going...and I must put my foot down. No moving. I'm fed up with change.

Mrs. G.F. said...

B-
I'm here!! I kept on trying to comment, but my computer keeps on dying...

I can see why you would consider going to NY, you do a great job posting the positives. Good luck with the decision.

I like how you are giving yoruself time to go through this, I think when a decision os too forced, it doesn't tend to work out for the best.

You'll make a good decision, becasue you aren't feeling rushed and pressured.

:)

Highlandgal said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. (But I wouldn't want to live there ;)