Saturday, May 06, 2006


May 6, 2006

Today was the two year anniversary of Joe's death. And as usual, the lead up to the day was far worse than the actual day. I tried to make a photo journal of the day, but forgot to take pictures of half the things we did.

We started out by going out to breakfast at a restaurant that Joe and I used to frequent pre-kids. Mel and her girls joined us, and I must say that I was really proud of how well the boys behaved there.

We then picked up flowers and balloons to bring to the cemetery. When we got there we placed the flowers over the cards that the boys made for Joe. Jacob dictated his to me last night. It read: Dear daddy, we got a puppy! Josh's was a series of scribbles.

The boys then released their balloons so they could travel to heaven, but a really cool thing happened on the way. Back in December I spoke to a medium. When I asked her if Joe could see us when we visited him at the cemetery, she responded that he could, but that he watched us from the tree behind his grave.

I counted to three before the release, and both boys let go at the same time. Joshua's yellow balloon flew straight up into the sky, as there was no wind blowing. But Jacob's took a different route. It stopped in the tree behind the grave. It stayed in that tree for about 5 minutes, and then, for no reason that Mel or I could understand, it left the tree, and floated gracefully upward until eventually it left our sight.

We then headed to a furniture store that is a local chain full of fun things to do. My mother met us there, and bought Jacob his first bed.

The rest of the day was spent in our backyard. Mel and Chris came over with their kids, and they played for hours. Supposedly, Mel is going to update her horribly neglected blog, and write about me teaching the kids how to play, duck, duck, goose. If she does, I will attach a link here, but I'm not holding my breath!

Mel convinced me at the last minute to call a babysitter. Chris, Mel and I went out for dinner and margaritas. Yum! (I forgot my camera at home, but took a pic with my camera phone of our drinks. As of right now though, I can't figure out how to get it to post here.)

Oh, and at the restaurant a Bruce Springsteen song played. Joe was shouting out a big hello. And no doubt he was raising his drink at me, pleased that I was out on the town.

(Jacob with his balloon)

(balloon heading toward tree)

(The balloons going their separate ways)
(cards and flowers)
(Jacob's big boy bed)
-b





7 comments:

M said...

I DID post about duck, duck, goose. It was a nice day. I'm glad it wasn't as hard as you thought it would be. I'm quite sure Joe is pleased with how you spent it. Especially the margheritas! :o)

P.S. LOVE the bed.

emotional girl said...

i love that joe showed you in so many ways that he is around you all and how much he loves you, especially the part of the balloon in the tree.
yay for jacob and his big boy bed :)

ramblingmuse said...

Lovely post! :-) It was just...nice. Glad it was a good day, and I like the new bed!

Anonymous said...

Way for you to seize the day, sweetie. The rocks on Joe's headstone are precious...did the boys line them up there for Daddy?

Mrs. G.F. said...

Glad you found a way to commemerate the day, it sounds like it was as good of a day as it could be.

I love the balloons...what a great tradition.

Funny, I recently read back in your blog to the medium post. Did you realize that she said something about March and new venture that would help financially? Wasn't that when you started your business? I thought that was cool. :)

The bed is adorable!! Is he excited?

Highlandgal said...

I'm glad the day was not as bad as you'd anticipated. As a matter of fact, it sounded quite nice.

J.Rowe said...

You have angels in your pictures...they are in several of them. The little glowing spots. I notice them in pictures sometimes, especially significant events. It makes me smile when I see them. I know someone special is looking over us.

Glad you guys went out and had fun. I wish I could of gone with you guys.