Friday, April 28, 2006

Two Years Ago Tonight*

Joe went out after work and had dinner at a local bar, along with two beers, and smoked a cigar. He then came home, watched TV with me, and went up to bed with me. I enjoyed his company in bed as much as a 7 month pregnant woman could.

Then he started complaining about a bump in his ear. I was annoyed, because he was often finding things wrong with himself. I mean he often felt sick in one way or another, so I was annoyed that he was feeling fine, but fretting over this bump in his ear. He even had me use a flashlight to examine said bump.

I pronounced it a zit, rolled over and went to sleep.

Little did we know that this was our last night together. That he had eaten his last meal, drank his last beers, smoked his last cigars, and had his final sexual act. If only we had known....

-b

*While the date this actually took place was April 30th, 2004, it was a Friday night. Because Joe's illness was so brief, I associate the days of the week more than the actual dates. My intention is to retell what happened each day up until his death. So if you don't want to read any of this (Nick) check back again after Thursday. But I hope you'll stay with me. I'm hoping that the telling of this story can maybe bring me out to the other side.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((b))) I am thinking of you and the boys during this time and wish you peace.

b said...

Thanks Kristi. Sorry I haven't responded to the numerous attempts to reach out to me. Soon I'll be able to reach back. And we will join you at the pool this summer, for sure.

Anonymous said...

I understand, and no worries. I just want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you the next couple of weeks. I think you are an amazing person and feel blessed to have gotten to meet you.

Take this time to immerse yourself in Joe and the boys. I'll be here...

M said...

I'm here, and always reading (and listening).

Highlandgal said...

I'm here too. Wishing you comfort as the days pass.

Erin said...

I'm here and glad that you are telling the story. Hopefully it will be theraputic for you.

StringMan said...

This is an important time and a critical event in your life -- probably like no other. A real roadmap changer. So, yes, it should be recounted and remembered. I'm listening.

b said...

Thank you to all who read. Thank you to all who are still reading. It means more than I can say.

love,
b

Mrs. G.F. said...

I am here, I am catching up today.

Hindsight must be hell. Wouldn't everyone do something different if they had known?

B- you do an amazing thing for me. YOu make me realize to let some of the little things go, that otherwise I would hold on to. I got into a big fight with Navy boy last night, and now I am thinking it's not worth holding on to. You improve the quality of my life.

Thank you. (((B)))