Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Conversations about death

I just told my students about the death of the 35 year old father in the third grade. They had lots of questions, and many observations. The one that made me cry inside was the one said by O: "When D gets older, I bet he's gonna think to himself, "I sure was a little boy when my dad died." Because he's only nine years old."

Another little boys asked if D's father was a good man. I responded that I believed he was a good man. The boy said, "Oh good, maybe there's a place in heaven for him then."

It's just so sad.

In regards to the boy who killed himself this weekend, apparently the local news did a story about it last night. The town I teach in has had 4 teen suicides in 1 year. One of which was a middle schooler. I work in a very small, wealthy community, and I have to wonder what kind of pressure are we putting on these kids that makes them feel the need to end their lives?

Sad day here.

-b

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction to O's comment... In Spanish which came after ...they always start with saying hi how are you conversation. It goes hi, hi how are you, I am good how are you, I am good thank you, you're welcome.
Today, for the first time, kids changed their answers. Instead of bien (good), everyone was triste (sad).

Anonymous said...

You know what B? You gave your school kids a very special gift today. Big hugs to you for handling it with such grace and compassion.

And a big SIGH at the "I sure was a little boy" comment. If only our boys had gotten those same 9 years...

Mrs. G.F. said...

B-
What a hard day that must have been for you!!!

(((B))

I am sure that those students were very,very lucky to have you there, helping them understand, and having good answers ready.

I can't imagine all the stuff it must have brought up for you.

*sigh*

ramblingmuse said...

No real comment.

Just sitting here and empathizing!

*sigh*

MacGuffin said...

You've done a good thing by being honest with them and answering their questions. I can't imagine anyone doing that for me when I was a kid. Some of those children will remember you all the more fondly in future, I promise.