Monday, July 24, 2006

A Tale Of Two Kids
(but both kids are Jacob)

Yesterday started out as a lovely day. We went to Toys R Us to buy birthday presents for the three parties we have this upcoming weekend. Of course the boys both wanted something, so I decided we could buy their backpacks for school.

Jacob immediately went to the pink Dora backpacks, but I gently pushed him toward the "boy" backpacks. (The store literally had a boy section and a girl section.) He ended up picking a "boy" backpack, as did Josh.

When we got home they both excitedly posed with their backpacks on. I felt so proud of them.

They then played the cutest game for about an hour. I sat in a chair in the living room. They told me they were going to school, and hugged me goodbye. They then ran into the hallway. After a few seconds, they'd come back in the living room, and announce, "We're back!" I'd give them a hug, and ask them about their day at school. They would then list everything they did at school. They played this game over and over, and I thought to myself, "How sweet!"

Fast forward an hour.

I am walking in the hallway, and I notice this:
Yes, that would be permanent marker on my somewhat newly painted wall. In my hallway.

Cut to the boys sitting on the couch.

Mom (shrieking slightly) : Boys! Who colored on the wall?

Jacob (looking worried) : It wasn't us.

Mom (looking pissed): Oh really? I need both of you to come here right now and look at this wall.

(Jacob quickly slips off couch, and runs towards me, guilty look in eye)

Jacob: OK mom, I did it. But, it was just an accident.

Mom: A what?

Jacob: An accident. It was just an accident mom.

Not quite so sweet anymore.

-b



17 comments:

M said...

Notas sweet, but very smart. :o)

ramblingmuse said...

Try that magic eraser stuff...I hear it works wonders on stains like that.

The boys are cute!

b said...

I tried. No such luck.

b said...

p.s. When will your vacatiion be over?

Anonymous said...

Prime it and paint over it. It's a PITA, but the best way. Trust me I have BTDT many times. Thank God it wasn't the red permanent marker. Also TG it wasn't the marker or paint on the back of your sofa, just saying.....

God makes them that cute for a reason!!!

Anonymous said...

Has Jacob been talking to Jack???

That's one of his favorite phrases lately. "Yeah Mom, I know I messed up, but I did it on accident, so it's okay." (Yep, he gets the preposition wrong.)

But I'm sorry it had to happen on your newly painted wall! I think my kid has always known there would be hell to pay if he did that (I'm not as understanding as you are!) and so he never tried that one.

Maisy said...

When Remaliah was 5 and Seb 2.5, we also had mysterious texta markings on our hallway walls. When I asked Remaliah if this was her doing she looked at me with wide eyes, the butter in her mouth was not melting, and said that she'd never do that because she knew it would make me mad. Then said she'd look at it to see what it said. She came back and told me Seb must have done it because it had SK on it. I re-inspected the graffiti to find SK had been added - Seb's initials. Great try, except that bright as he is, Seb was not writing letters at 2.5!!!!

But the butter wasn't melting in her mouth, so what could I do except laugh....?

Ali
Oh, and be very specific that all walls are not for writing on. Both mine have written on their bedroom walls because they are theirs.

Maisy said...

Wish I could edit my comment.

I don't happen to think the bedroom walls are theirs! I've told them when they are old enough to prime, paint and pay for the primer and paint, they can write on their bedroom walls....

A

Mrs. G.F. said...

Arghhh.

Children. I can relate to being angry at him, I am angry at A-bomb today.

I'll post later but she's been really acting up.

Good luck with your wall....I wonder if you have to use a primer like KILZ? That one doesn't let anything bleed through,if you use another, evantually the marker might come through.

Anonymous said...

Jacob was rebelling because you wouldn't let him buy the Dora bag. If you look closely at the drawing, you can see Jacob's angst-ridden rendering of Dora being hurried away to an unattainable place. Jacob will surely become a tortured artist one day and make millions of dollars. When he does, he better freakin buy you some new paint.

Dial-Up Princess said...

Kids do the darnest things sometimes...:)

Anonymous said...

Actually I totally did that the last time I was over. Tell Jacob thanks for covering for me.
I saw the marker and just got crazy.

J.Rowe said...

Nice Patrick... You've gotta control yourself.

Anonymous said...

A little acting out over the new limits you're setting?

Anonymous said...

Definately use magic erase...should work for you...

kids are cute/not/cute/not all day long. Today you had a much more cute time than not, bask in it...
l,R

allison said...

Sorry about the marker. I have had the same problem with crayon more times than I care to count. My mom taught me a little trick, too. Instead of asking 'if' the kids did something, ask them 'why' they did it. Your chances of getting a confession are much greater!

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested