Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Tuesday

As soon as I woke up, I called Joe's cell phone. It went straight to voicemail. Each time I called it went straight to voicemail. It wasn't until I eventually made it to ICU, that I realized cell phones weren't allowed in the unit. I was no longer able to talk to Joe. Or more accurately, Joe was no longer able to talk to me.

My sister drove up from NYC first thing in the morning. My mother had flown to Europe for work the same weekend that Joe was hospitalized. We began trying to contact her through her work to tell her to come home.

I called the hospital and asked for permission to come visit. The Dr. told me that it still wasn't safe, but hopefully by the afternoon I could come in.

I got a phone call around noon. My sister and I had just sat down for lunch. It was the Dr. She told me that Joe was having a lot of difficulty breathing, due to the chicken pox in his throat. They decided that the best option for him was to put him in a medicated coma, so that he could be comfortable. Then, in a few days, when things were better, they would take him out of it.

I asked questions about the procedure, and kept making her reassure me that he would come out of it. She said she couldn't 100% guarantee it, but he was just too uncomfortable the way he was. There was really no alternative.

She then told me that she was going to put Joe on the phone with me, so I could speak to him prior to the procedure.

Regret number three is not jumping into the car, and driving to that hospital before they began the procedure, but I just wasn't thinking clearly, and there's no way they would have let me into ICU without clearance.

They put Joe on the phone with me for what would ultimately be our last conversation.

"Hello?" he said weakly.
"Hi babe," I responded, trying hard not to cry.
"Did they tell you what they're gonna do?" he asked me.
"Yes. How do you feel about it?"
"I'm scared," he said, choking up.
"Don't be scared. The Dr. told me this is just to make you more comfortable. You'll be awake on Friday, and this will all be over."
"I've got to go," he said.
"I love you!" I yelled.
"I love you," he whispered.

Finally, in the late afternoon, I was given permission to visit Joe. Nothing could have prepared me properly for the world of ICU. I'm not sure if any of you have ever been in ICU. First you have to ring a bell to get in. Then when you get inside to the unit, there are curtained off areas with beds in them.

But there are also mini rooms in the ICU, for those that are contagious. You need to go through one set of glass doors to a scrub room. There you need to put on a mask, gloves and gown. Then you're allowed to go through the second glass door to the patient.

That is the room Joe was in. But he was no longer Joe.

He was connected to numerous IV's, and was blown up like a balloon. The nurse, greeted me by saying, "We were wondering when you would get here." I felt like screaming at her, but instead focused my attention on my husband, who was a shell of the man I left on Saturday night.

Unless you saw Joe, I cannot accurately describe what he looked like. The best way to describe it, is that he was filled with about 20 pounds of fluid. He had gone from 160 pounds to 180 pounds in 72 hours, and at least 10 of them were in his face.

The nurse told me that although he couldn't respond, he could hear me. I spoke awkwardly to him for about an hour, and then we were told that we needed to go. I told Joe that I would be back in the morning, squeezed his hand through my gloved hand, kissed his cheek through my mask, and walked out of the room.

-b
edited to add: I really appreciate all of the comments you have been leaving. If you have been reading, please at least just say hi. This story is so close to my heart, I just want to know who I'm sharing it with. Also, BCA, I know that you saw Joe on this day. Could you please share your version of the day with everyone?

26 comments:

Alicia said...

I'm still here, holding you, wishing for a different ending to the story, remembering my own entry into the world of ICU, wishing for a different ending to the story.

Peace be with you

Nick said...

I'm here, reading.

Anonymous said...

reading, wishing it weren't true...

jennifer

Anonymous said...

I'm still here b.

Anonymous said...

still reading .. and wishing it was fiction ..... that no one would ever have to endure such pain.

xoxo
in_the_clover

kyle said...

i'm reading b. and my heart aches for you and for all of us

Sandy. said...

This story ripped out my heart when you first posted it. Yet, reading it all again almost seems worse. You've made me shed many a tears again B.

I already know the story. Why then doesn't that make it any easier?

Thank you for sharing.

Sandy.

Anonymous said...

I'm still reading.

J.Rowe said...

I think Brett summed it up best...you keep reading wishing the ending would be different.

Anonymous said...

me here..

Anonymous said...

I'm reading B

Chris

Anonymous said...

The biggest thing I remember about Tuesday is the feeling of relief that Rebecca was coming. Somehow I thought things would be okay when she got here.

When did you give me the list of people to call? I can't remember if that was Tuesday or Wednesday. I was thankful you asked me to do it. I wanted to do something, anything to help. (I wasn't capable of doing what I wanted to do...) But those calls were soooooo hard. I didn't know anyone very well, and I was giving them very bad news. I remember trying to make people feel better, make them think everything was going to be okay, when really I was terrified. -Mel

Anonymous said...

I'm here.

b said...

Thanks for checking in. Mel, the list was on Wednesday, as you drove me to the hospital.

MamaMichelsBabies said...

I'm here, reading... have been the whole time..

I wish I knew what to say.

My heart aches for you.

Maisy said...

I'm here reading again too B.

Haven't stuck my hand in the air before to acknowledge my presence as I was trying to keep my equilibrium with my own anniversary.

My loss events took 20 minutes beginning to end. No time in 20 minutes for any regrets which I see as a positive after reading your retelling of events. My heart breaks for you each time you wish you had acted differently. Each time I think you acted in the only way you could with the information that was given to you.

Ali

Anonymous said...

as always I'm here
Nikki

Mrs. G.F. said...

still here B.

((b))

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I just found your site and have to tell you how impressed I am at how articulate you are. I am so sorry for your loss. Having just lost my husband and soul mate a few months ago, I can honestly say many of the words you write, I feel within the deepest, darkest places in myself. More often than not, your words bring me to tears but also cause me to smile. I appreciate you sharing some of your most intimate and sacred thoughts and memories. I wish you and your family the best. May Joe continue to be with you and bring you peace.
-- SM

Maureen Fitzgerald said...

I'm following along as well, B. Even though I read this last year, it still brings my heart up into my throat with each new post.
Wishing you peace.

Anonymous said...

I'm here.

4texans said...

I'm reading. I hope it's cathartic for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Just found your site and wanted to share my sympathy. As the mom of a 13 month old, I can only imagine what it must have been like to go experience such a loss with a baby and another on the way.
You and your family are in my thoughts.

Alicia said...

Reading it again, for the 3rd year. Wishing again, not for the first time, not for the last, that our similar stories could have had different endings.

Anonymous said...

Hi B - I'm reading your story again this year too. My husband spent many days with his former wife in ICU before she died, and it still saddens me to hear of that time and to picture my husband in that kind of anguish. I am sad for all she didn't get to experience (she was 30), and sad for him that he lost his love and the mother of his children. I can't imagine how hard it would be to see your mate slipping away from you like that. I take heart in knowing that, although you will never replace Joe and he will always have a very special place in your world, you have started a new chapter with your new love T. I suspect he feels as I do about my new family (husband and two wonderful stepchildren) - blessed to be a part of these incredible people's lives. All my best to you. Lurker Cathy

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you, especially during this difficult time.

A loyal lurker