Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

Tonight during dinner
I told T
that this was my favorite
Memorial Day weekend ever
"Ever?" he asked
"Ever," I responded

and then I felt sick
to my stomach

How could I have forgotten
Memorial Day Weekend
10 years ago?

That was the weekend that
Joe proposed to me
he got down on one knee
on the swan boats
in Boston

He pulled out a ring
that was perfect in my mind
he asked me to be his wife
and I was happy
I was beyond happy

We celebrated by walking over to
Fenway Park
and telling the man at the gate
that we just got engaged
he let us in to the game for free

The next day I graduated from college
and I got to show off my ring
to all my classmates

How could I say that this weekend was better than that?
What is wrong with me that I could forget
such an important weekend?

What is wrong with me that I would rather redo
this weekend
and not that weekend?

I'm so screwed up....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, you're no screwed up. You're living in the present and not the past. And that's good.

Anonymous said...

I agree. You're not screwed up at all. (Not about this anyway. :o)

I also think it's good to live in the present. I think it's wonderful that this weekend was so wonderful for you. I think Joe is happy that this weekend was wonderful for you.

That doesn't take away the specialness of that Memorial Day weekend ten years ago. It's just different.

Maisy said...

You're in a brand new happiness now. A happiness sparkling with promise rather than burnished with grief.

This Memorial weekend is your new favourite because you thought for some time that the happiness you felt 10 years ago was lost to you forever. This Memorial weekend you know that it's not.


Ali

Alicia said...

Ditto what everyone else has said, especially Ali.

Anonymous said...

Ali and Pentha are so wise--I ditto what they said. And you are not screwed up, a widow yes, and too often we think that widow and screwed up means the same thing, but not always.

Dial-Up Princess said...

I also have to agree with everyone with what they had to say....it doesn't replace the memorial day happiness of the past...its just different...*hugs*

Maureen Fitzgerald said...

This Memorial Day offers the new hope of happily ever after - there is nothing wrong with grabbing onto that with both hands!

Anonymous said...

No you are not. You are human. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Is it bad to think of another colour as your favourite or another band as your favourite?

No. Things change, other things take on new/more precious feelings as we experience new things during the course of life.

Your life is moving on and at the moment it's with T. Later in life it could very well mean that something new becomes the favourite day of your life.

That's life, live it without regrets.