Thursday, May 03, 2007

On Letting Go

As I've been reading your comments, and emails, there has been one comment repeated over and over. Even though we know the story, as we read it this time around, we keep hoping for a different ending. Strangely enough, I feel the same way. I have been dreading posting today, because it will mean that Joe's story is over, yet again. It was so hard to let him go the first time, and each year at the anniversary, it's been equally as difficult. I don't want to let him go, I really don't. I want to write a different ending. But I can't. So here is the real ending:

Thursday

At around 6am the doctors woke me up and told me that my talk with Joe, and my arms around him had worked wonders. His oxygen levels had gone way up, and he was in better condition than he had been the night before. I went into the waiting room to share the good news with all the sleepless people who had gathered. Melanie left to call people with the good news. My step-father questioned if my mother really needed to fly home after all. I left the hospital for the first time in almost 24 hours to walk next door for coffee. I felt myself breathing for the first time in days.

But within a few hours, his oxygen levels went back down. The doctors had to perform the same procedure that they did in the middle of the night; turn him back over, this time onto his back.

When I was allowed to go back in the room to see Joe after they flipped him, I was shocked all over again by what I saw. I had become accustomed to the huge amount of fluid in him, the 40 pounds that he had gained in the past few days no longer phased me.

What was new was the discoloration in his arms and legs. They had turned blue. When I touched them, they were ice cold. Even through my gloved hands, they were too cold to touch. His eyes, which were closed, had blood continuously pouring out of them. I asked permission to wipe them dry, and it become a never ending struggle to keep the blood away. His ears no longer looked like ears. They were completely crusted over and curled up.

I asked the nurse about his arms and legs. She explained that when your body's blood levels get very low, the blow circulates around the organs that need it most. Therefore it stops circulating through the limbs. I asked if he would lose his limbs, and she told me that was a possibility.

I didn't leave Joe's side all day. I kept rubbing his arms in legs in a vain attempt to warm them up. I also never stopped talking to him. I never stopped telling him to fight. I never stopped talking about our future, and our childrens' futures. I also kept singing him a song that he would always sing to Jacob. But every time I would sing it, my voice would break, and the tears would start up. I just couldn't believe what was happening before my eyes. I couldn't believe what was happening to my future.

My sister and the nurse insisted that I lie down, but I refused to leave the room. They set me up on a chair in the corner of the room. While I was sitting there, I heard my sister remark on how cold Joe was. The nurse decided to take his temperature. This was a disaster. Joe's tongue had become so enlarged, she couldn't get the thermometer under it. When she finally was able to get it in, it registered 92 degrees fahrenheit. This shocked me enough to get back up, and continue talking to him.

At around 3:30, my mother finally arrived. I was never in my life so relieved to see her. And so it was, for the next two hours my mother, sister and I stood by Joe and told him various stories, most of them funny.

At around 5 pm my sister went to eat some salad. She was also pregnant, and had not been eating or sleeping nearly enough. My mother insisted that I lay back down on the chair in the corner of the room.

I lay down, closed my eyes, and listened to my mother's familiar voice as she talked to Joe. She told him that my sister was eating salad, and that I was finally resting. I think that was Joe's signal. He had waited for my mother to get there, he had waited for me to relax just a bit, and now it was time for him to go.

I heard the heart monitor making a strange sound. I sat right up and asked the nurse what was going on. My mother told me to lie back down, but the nurse told her no, that not only should I not lie down, but that someone should get my sister. I stood up and rushed to the bed. The nurse looked in my eyes and said, "This is it. He's going."

The room was suddenly filled with all of the doctors who had been treating him, along with numerous residents. I didn't notice any of them as I began letting go.

I had taken off my gloves when I lay down, but now I instinctively ran my hands through his hair. I suddenly realized what I had done and looked at the nurse. She told me not to worry, to touch him all I wanted. And so my hands never left his body. Finally we were skin to skin. For the last time, I was touching my husband.

I told Joe that is was ok, he had tried so hard to fight, but now it was time to let go, and rest. I promised him that I would talk to the boys about him every day, that they would know him through me. I promised him that I would be strong, and would make him proud. I told him how proud I was of him, and how much I loved him.

Then I panicked. I changed my mind. I wasn't ready to let go. I looked up at the nurse and said, "I've changed my mind. He can't go! Can I tell him to fight again?"

She looked at me with tears in her eyes. "You can tell him whatever you want. But he's going."

My sister has told me since that at that point she wanted to scream at all the doctors to do something, to save him. But as she looked around she could see that they were all crying too. She knew that there was nothing left for them to do.

I went back to telling Joe to go. I promised him we would be ok. I promised him he would never be forgotten. I let him go.

And then he was gone. The heart monitor showed that his heart was no longer beating. The doctor gently announced that he was gone. I insisted that he was lying, because Joe's stomach was still rising and falling. He then unplugged a machine, and his body lay still.

The doctors told me that they would give me privacy, and that I could stay with Joe for as long as I wanted. I remember standing there with my mother, sobbing. I kept asking her how I was supposed to leave him. How can you walk away from the love of your life? How can you say goodbye?

But he was already gone. The body that remained wasn't Joe. It didn't even resemble Joe anymore.

I had let him go.

I am still letting him go.

It's just so hard.

-b

(To everyone who took the time to read this entire story, I thank you for letting me keep my promise to Joe. He will not be forgotten.)

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

He will absolutely not be forgotten. I'm sitting in my classroom and the tears won't stop. I'm so sorry.

My memories of that day - I remember being so excited to call people with good news. It finally seemed possible that there would be a happy ending!

Rebecca called though, I think sometime around 5:30. I called the people on my list. I felt guilty for giving them (what now felt like) false hope earlier in the day. I also felt numb. I didn't cry at all as I was on the phone. I was very calm and in control. I remember wondering if the people I was calling - some of your closest friends - thought I didn't care.

When I was finished with the calls, I called Jenn and Jo at your house. I didn't know what to do. Should I come over? I didn't know if you'd want anyone around. I think they checked with you somehow and you said people were good. So we all stayed.

But even as we were there, even as you were speaking with the funeral director, it just seemed as if it couldn't be happening. I remember listening to you on the phone as we sat around the dining room table. I kept thinking the questions you were answering shouldn't have to be answered. Not now. Not today. Not until you are very old...

Anonymous said...

b,
We don't know each other, but thank you for sharing Joe's story. I think of you often, ever since hearing your story for the first time on ub (funny how such a catty message board can also bring such hope and caring out of people). Do you think it's silly that a perfect stranger thinks you are amazing? You really are. Your boys are bound for greatness- that much is true.
With so much (virtual) love, hope, and encouragement,
d.

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry for your loss...

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog and read your story. Joe's story. It is so profoundly heartwrenching and amazing. Your strength is astounding. What an incredible woman you are. I am currently 29 and pregnant with a toddler at home. I couldn't even imagine being in your place. I will hug my husband and my son just a little tighter when I get home. Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you all the best in life.
~S

J.Rowe said...

I didn't want to read today. The days are a blur. I do know we left school and went to your house to be together... we cleaned the house, we fixed things... we just wanted to help, but didn't know how. (I think that was Wed)

It was bedtime:
Jo-Anne and I were taking care of Jacob. Jo-Anne was upstairs getting Jacob ready for bed. All of a sudden Jacob just stared crying, which was odd because he was a dream all day. Then the phone rang and it was Becca. I knew what she was going to say. (I cried for you, I cried for Jacob, I still am: ) I went upstairs and I told Jo-Anne. I took Jacob for a walk...so Jo-Anne could have sometime. Mark met me one the walk and then we met up with Chris.

I remember just being numb like none of it was real. Like we were all awake and in one of our dreams together. I remember driving home late with the window down and the warm air thinking is any of this really happening.

To this day, I admire your strength... You got out of bed each day and moved forward. I think Joe would be amazed by you and all that you have done to raise your sons. You're doing a great job and it shows.

Thinking of you and the boys.

Anonymous said...

B-
i don't know you, but once conversed w/ you on UB. i am so sorry for what you have gone through. I had such a sick feeling reading your blog, i am an ICU RN in a boston hospital, right near Fenway. I'm in a surgical unit, so i doubt we met. but i wish i had been there, in joe's unit, helping you through this time. i'm sorry you didn't have a more supportive team taking care of joe, and i am so sorry for your loss. i am 33myself, pregnant, and watching my dh go through chemo. i can't even begin to imagine how you felt. you sound like a strong, amazing woman, that you can even put this experience into words, so that others may see how special your dh reall was. your sons are lucky to have you as a mother, and joe is lucky to have sucha wonderful woman keep his memory alive.

Anonymous said...

Hugs and prayers to you today and always!

Anonymous said...

I am thinking about you and your family. J

Anonymous said...

Melanie called me a few times that day. She first called to tell me that his oxygen levels had gone up after he'd been turned over the first time. She left this news on a voicemail. The second time she called, I had a bad feeling that the news would not be good so I immediatley began talking at length about how happy I was about the good news (I was trying to keep her from giving me bad news). She told me that things had taken a turn for the worse and that you were taking it minute by minute at that point. Later in the day, I was at a car wash and Melanie called to tell me Joe had died. I pass that car wash many times a week and always think of you and Joe when I do.

Anonymous said...

I came to your blog today from UrbanBaby - I had read posts there written by you. I have been sitting at my desk in tears all day, reading over your posts from the beginning. You are such a strong woman, your boys are lucky to have you. And they are so beautiful. You mentioned in one of your posts that you hope to have some of your writing published some day, and I have no doubt that will happen. Your voice comes through so seemingly effortlessly; I particularly like the poems. Good luck to you and your family. Thank you for sharing your story.

Alicia said...

and now the tears flow.

I haven't cried as I read the day by day posts. But now, b, I weep with you.

Begging him to fight, telling him it's okay to go, changing your mind... the tears just fall from my cheeks as I feel that agony with you.

I am so so sorry you had to go through this; that Joe is gone; that your boys will never know their father except through what other people tell them; that you have been wounded to the core. I am so sorry.

((((b))))

b said...

Mel, I'm sorry that you had to be the one to make so many phone calls. I couldn't handle calling anyone. I made the rabbi call Joe's parents. How do you tell people that their only child just died? I couldn't do it.

I remember sitting at the dining room table when I got home. It was covered with all of my favorite foods. I didn't want to eat any of it. The series finale of Friends was about to be on, and I remember thinking that I should be watching it. That Joe and I should be watching it. It was so surreal.

JRowe, thanks for sharing your end. I love how you described it as we were all walking around awake but in a dream. I felt that way too. I was incredibly lucky to have so many amazing friends, and my immediate family taking care of everything at home. I don't know what I would have done without all of you.

Owen, I know you hate posting serious comments here. Thank you for honoring my request, and telling me about your phone calls.

Jess, and QK, thanks for checking in, as always.

UB readers, Wow. You have blown me away with support. I am amazed that so many of you have come here to read, and am enjoying reading your comments. You have given me great support over the past year.

btw, to the nurse in icu; joe was at BI, is that where you work? To be honest, once he was in ICU, aside from that very first nurse, he (and I) received extraordinary care. The nurses and doctors were amazing, and they really did try everything they could.

b said...

Pentha,
as a fellow widow, you get it. Unfortunately, I could write your entire comment back to you. Hugs to you at this time as well.

Mrs. G.F. said...

B,
I hate this day for you. I hate that it's spring and everything is coming to life when part of your died.

I am so sorry that this happened.

Thinking of you,
SM

Horatio Pepperwell, Post Captain said...

Just now was the first time that I read Joe's Story, and I am having a rough time finding the words. May your loss be tempered by a divine spark of Love, and by Courage, words not to be used lightly, but which I will use here. May your loss be not a dark shroud but a light on the rough beauty of Mortality. Joe will never be forgotten. Such a man was he.

Anonymous said...

oh. . .b, I'm so sorry.

kyle said...

i'm with Pentha...the tears have come. there are really no words just thoughts of you and the boys. you have endured such heartache and have done it with dignity and beauty. no one knows the extent of your pain but you- but thank you for letting us walk with you.

Anonymous said...

i've been reading everyday. From reading your blog in the past i kind of had an idea of what had happened. Reading it day to day was so emotional and overwhelming that i could not imagine being in your shoes. You are a very brave woman. Hugs and prayers as you go thru this difficult time.
-V

MamaMichelsBabies said...

I don't know what to say, other then you have to be one of the strongest women I've come across. I've had tears many times from many blogs, including yours, but I've only sobbed once. Today.

I hope my thoughts and prayers and long distance hugs are some comfort. I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Betsy - I imagine that my mom's experience was very, very different from yours for lots of obvious reasons, but I can tell you that my mom suffered a tremendous amount when my dad died, and for the first few years afterward, she was still a mess. It has now been 10 years, and it seems like things really have changed for her. I no longer call her and happen to find her in tears at some random time. We can talk about my dad and she's fine. It's probably a really annoying refrain that you're extremely sick of hearing, but time WILL help you heal. That said, your story, and especially this last post, is so... unbelievably f-ing sad. I am so sorry for your loss, and for Jacob and Josh's loss, and for Joe's loss too.

ramblingmuse said...

Hi B,

Even though I know the story, each time I read it I just feel so much for you and the boys, and everyone who is a part of Joe's life.

*hugs*

Maisy said...

Tears from me too with this post. I almost didn't read so I could avoid the ending.

Isn't the experience of speaking to funeral directors surreal? Instead of watching Friends you're talking caskets, times, funeral notices and all the while your brain is telling you it can't be real.

I'm sorry the ending remained the same.

Ali

Anonymous said...

B, as I think you know I've been reading your blog everyday for a while now. For some reason the story has never been as powerful as it was when I read it this time. I don't think I know of a more tragic story, nor do I know of someone who is truly dealing with it as well as you are. You know I am always there for you.

Anonymous said...

HUGs to you b!

b said...

To everyone above: Thank you. Really and truly.

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to post everyday but have always found some reason to avoid it.
Your and Joe's relationship is very near and dear to my heart. Having gone to college with you and seeing how other highschool sweetheart never survived, we all knew that your love was different in so many ways. A deeper connection and love that people only dream of having.
There are some defining moments in people's lives where you never forget when and where you were(mine are 9/11 and this phone call)
It is a blur but yet so clear when my cell phone rang and it was Kristin to tell me what was happening with Joe. I was in Tropical Smoothie having lunch in Tampa, FL. I remember initially thinking wow this is going to be an awesome Kristin story because she was calling during the day (which she never did); her "stories/escapades" always make me laugh so hard. I knew as soon as I heard her voice this would not be our typical conversation.
I remember wanting to jump on a plane so I could be there for you and do whatever I could to help. Also knowing that the last I saw you was at Kristin's wedding and before that, college but yet seeing your soulmate love for each other with my own eyes, I was not able to even comprehend what you were going through.
I have never gone back to that restaurant and had to drive by it almost everyday thinking about that phone call. Last week another restaurant took its place and when I noticed it I cried thinking how life really does change and always remember that "Life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away". (this is my favorite quote and it makes me think of soulmate/once in a lifetime love that you and Joe shared)
It will never make sense to me that you should've gone this and how cruel and unfair it is.
I now hate to hear from Kristin during the day because I get so nervous that it is horrible news.
I miss you and want to tell you that you are the strongest bravest woman that I know. Please keep your blog going as I find so much strength in it.
Love Amelia

Anonymous said...

B-
i am the ICU nurse who posted earlier (also from UB) and yes, i remember you and your husband. i remember the impact you BOTH had on all of us at BI. i was not in the MICU, but in one of the SICUs and had floated to the MICU one evening. i thought, and still do, that you are incredibly strong, and joe is/was very lucky to have such a wonderful and caring wife

b said...

Thank you for sharing that. I hope you know that the doctors and nurses there were incredible. They truly cared, and a couple have even stayed in touch a bit. (One came to shiva, and one came to visit me after my baby was born.) Thank you for trying to help Joe.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this story...,your story. It is so powerful and compelling, and so sad and unfair.
I want to wish for you, but there are no words. Hopefully, you will know.
Julie