Friday, April 20, 2007

This One's For The Believers

For whatever reason, the boys have been talking about Joe a lot recently. His death comes up at least once a day.

Tonight, as I was stuggling to get the boys ready for bed, Jacob pointed to Joe's Red Sox hat hanging on the wall in the playroom.

"Is that my daddy's hat?" he asked.
"It is," I replied.
"Can I wear it?"
"No. It's a special hat. But you can wear one of his shirts."
"Mommy, I miss daddy. Why can't he come back?"
"Because he died."

At this point Joshua, who had been listening to this exchange, ran from the playroom into his bedroom corner, looked up at the ceiling, and began yelling, "Daddy, come back! Daddy, come back now! Daddy, we miss you!"

This went on for a few minutes, until I finally asked him why he was yelling at the ceiling.
He pointed with his finger at the corner and said, "Because daddy is right there."

"You can see him?"
"uh huh."
"What's he doing?"
"He's looking sad."
"He misses us mommy."

Told you it was for the believers.....

-b

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe.

Mel

J.Rowe said...

Chills.

Anonymous said...

I BELIEVE!!!! Why do you think I stopped peeing at your house?!?!?!?!?
:)
KM

Anonymous said...

Just tears, I believe. Hugs to you all during this difficult time.

Kristi

Anonymous said...

That's amazing, B.

I believe.

Anonymous said...

I believe....I believe.....How can I not believe?


Walt

b said...

Thanks guys :O)

Anonymous said...

Oh, why can't i stop tearing up? I think it's so sweet that they know their father is there and that they love him so much with so little time they had with him. Squeeze them for me!

Stephanie said...

I want to believe. I really, really do.

kyle said...

chills and tears. definitely a believer

Maisy said...

What to say? What Josh sees, Josh sees.

Ali

Courtney said...

I just stumbled onto your blog and read the day by day until Joe's death. I am so sorry for your loss, I would have never imagined someone could die from the chickenpox! I am so so so sorry! And I definitely believe.