Saturday, April 28, 2007

Saturday

I got up with Jacob at about 6am, as was my usual weekend routine. I fed and played with him for about an hour, and then we both went back to bed.

I awoke an hour later to the sound of Joe throwing up in the bathroom. While this make me anxious, it wasn't unheard of in our house. Joe has an intestinal disease that acted up from time to time. We both assumed that his feeling sick was due to this disease.

In fact when Jacob woke up about an hour later, I told Joe that it was his turn to get up. He got Jacob up, went down and made coffee, and was soon back in our bed complaining that his stomach hurt, and that the bump in his ear was driving him crazy.

I took Jacob for a walk with my neighbor, and actually complained about the fact that Joe was complaining. I attributed it to him being a guy, that he was acting like he was in such pain. (no offense guys, but you're not the best at dealing with being sick.)

I then took Jacob to his music class, and brought him home for a nap. I was supposed to meet my friend for lunch, and I asked Joe if I should cancel or go. He told me to go, but asked that I try to be back before Jacob woke up from his nap. The restaurant was 30 minutes away, but I thought that due to music class, Jacob would sleep for 2 hours. So I went.

As we finished our meal I heard my cell phone ring. (I discovered later that it had rung numerous times during our meal, but it was too noisy to hear the ring.) Upon hearing Joe's voice I knew something was really wrong. He could barely speak, but asked me if I was almost home. I told him I was on my way, and got in my car.

I called my neighbor and asked if she could go get Jacob from my house. She agreed, and so I called home to tell Joe my plan. He heard me and hung up without saying a word. My neighbor later told me that she found him lying on the ground. He could barely lift his head up.

I told Joe that we were going to the ER. He went to take a shower. I'll never forget the horrors of that shower. He brought Jacob's plastic stepstool into the tub, so he could sit, but even so he was sobbing while the water splashed him. (Joe wasn't one to cry at all.)

I helped him get dressed and we got in the car. Joe brought a pillow with him, and was squeezing it in pain the entire ride, while crying. At one point I asked him if I should pull over and call an ambulance, but he told me to keep driving.

I dropped him at the door to the ER and went to park the car. By the time I got inside the ER, he was already on a stretcher with a morphine drip in his arm.

It was a busy day in the ER, and Joe was never given a curtained off area. Instead his stretcher lay next to the nurse's station in the middle of the room. The noisiest spot he could possibly be. At times the morphine drip would work enough to allow Joe to speak calmly, but most of the time he was in so much pain he was either screaming or crying. The nurses told me repeatedly to quiet him down, and that he needed to be patient. I think of those nurses often, and wonder if they ever found out that the patient they considered impatient was actually dying in front of their eyes.

Throughout the day we spoke to numerous doctors, and retold the same story to each of them. A rash had begun spreading all over his body, and I asked at least 3 of these doctors if the rash could be chicken pox. All of them quickly said no.

Joe had a cat scan, which showed that his intestines were totally clear, but that his liver looked inflamed. This puzzled all of us, because we assumed that his pain was due to his intestinal disease.

It was at this time (about 7pm) that Joe began feeling like he had to pee constantly. I would take him into the bathroom, helping him stand, and pushing his IV. But each time he was unable to pee at all, and instead would have horrible pain. I thought that maybe he had kidney stones, but the doctors couldn't see any evidence of them. They decided to give Joe a catheter, so he would be out of that pain at least.

I sat by Joe's side until midnight, at which point he insisted I go home. "You've got our baby in you to care for. You need your sleep," he said.

I kissed him, told him I loved him, and left, still unsure of what was wrong with him.

That was the last time I got to see him conscious.

-b

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I've heard this story again and again, it still brings tears to my eyes.
As I told you before, I saw you at Gymboree that morning. Late that afternoon I drove by your house on my way home. I noticed that your car wasn't there. I remember having a gut feeling that something was wrong. I remember trying to push the feeling down- thinking I was being paranoid. But the feeling kept coming back. -Mel

Anonymous said...

Hi b:

I know as you retell this story, you speak of some regrets you have...

I hope by your reliving this tragic time in your lives you will not only find it cathartic but also see these regrets in a different light.

From the reader's prespective, you were a young, pregnant mother who was whipped into a whirlwind of the unknown and who, throughout it all, showed your love and caring for Joe is a way that is so apparent, it is almost tangible.

I so admire your grace and honesty.

Please know that others weep with you...

in_the_clover

b said...

Thanks in the clover! I appreciate what you're saying, and in time I hope I can let go of my regrets. Not yet though.

Anonymous said...

I of course am one of those folks who would not have the blessing of knowing you if it were not for our shared circumstance as widows. So, I cannot speak of my memories of those days before Joe died.

However, I CAN speak of our first meeting, in Texas when you were 10 months out from Joe's death. Even that soon, you had a spark in you that could not -- and cannot -- be denied. You have plowed forward with your life, usually gracefully, sometimes not. But always with that vibrance that I saw during our very first meeting.

You're the best, B...big hugs to you during this difficult anniversary time.

Love you,
K.

Anonymous said...

Hi B - I know you, sort of. As in, I've known you since we were both teenagers and I used to spend afternoons at your house after school when your sister and I were high school friends (as opposed to mid-thirties mother friends, as we are now). My principal memory of you from that time was that you really, really liked the movie Dirty Dancing, and the Sweet Valley High books. And you were always babysitting. When Joe died, your sister sent me an email that said "call me right away". I was living in Virginia and visiting my then boyfriend, now husband, for the weekend. I called your sister as soon as I got the message and my jaw just about hit the floor when she told me that Joe had died. It's true that I don't know you that well, but I know enough to know that your life has not been as easy as some people's, and the fact that this new tragedy happened to you was pretty f-ing hard to believe. It seemed like you had already exceeded your fair share. I love your blog because it is a demonstration of how a person of your strength of character can make it through a series of trials that appear literally unbearable from the outside. You seem nearly always to retain a spark of optimism, even when you write that you're feeling badly. I admire you so much!!

Anonymous said...

b.... we all have regrets ..we all wish for "do-overs" ... I am not suggesting that you should or could ever stop wishing you could have seen him that one last time .. I am just hoping that are at a place where you know, in your heart of hearts, that you did the very best you could under very difficult circumstances.

Peace to you.

xoxo
in_the_clover

Mrs. G.F. said...

I am still here.

Thinking of you,
SM

ramblingmuse said...

Has it already been another year? I remember the first time this was posted! :(

Joe's story still gets to me. You've come a long way, b!

b said...

K, Since Joe died, I have met som many amazing people (you included) that I would never have met otherwise. Vincent, widowgroup, T, and many others. It's so strange to think of a time when all of you weren't in my life! I believe that with all of my widow friends, our husbands had something to do with us finding one another. Even with T, I think Joe may have had something to do with that. Who knows. Regardless, I am eternally thankful to have met so many incredible people in the past three years.

Molly, Thanks for your comment. Strangely enough, I am going to see Dirty Dancing in the movie theatre this Tuesday night, in honor of its 20th anniversary! Also, I remember my sister telling me that you said something to the effect of, "Your sister has already had so many bad things happen to her, how is this possible?" You are one of only a few readers who know what my childhood was like. I agree, I've had my fair share of crappy things happen. But I've been remarkebly lucky to have such a caring group of people in my life to help get me through all of them. I may seem stong, but I get my strength from everyone who surrounds me. Thanks for being in that group.

in the clover, I do get what you're saying. I do recognize that I did the best I could in that situation, but I still regret some of my actions.

SM, thanks for reading

RM, Can you believe it's been another year? I can't either, I'm glad you're here.

Anonymous said...

Lately I've been catching Noggin at 6 p.m. when Moose A. Moose sings the song that signals the end of the Noggin day (any other moms who have Noggin on all day long?) Every time I hear it, it brings me back to the 2 weeks I spent at your house when Joe died and I was taking care of Jacob for you (along with a lot of your amazing friends.) At that time, Jacob went to sleep at 6 p.m., so that song meant the end of another day. It made me sad every time I heard it then, and it makes me sad when I hear it now too. Hearing it is a trigger that puts me right back in that spot.
Molly, that was a really nice post. Thanks.

b said...

Thanks, Becca, for that comment. Glad you're still reading...