Sunday, September 10, 2006

From Joe's Unveiling Service
read by my sister

You can shed tears that he is gone
Or you can smile because he has lived.
You can close your eyes and pray he will come back,
Or you can open your eyes and see all that he has left.
Your heart can be empty because you can’t see him,
Or you can be full of the love you shared.
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember him and only that he’s gone,
Or you can cherish his memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back,
Or you can do what he’d want,
SMILE, OPEN YOUR EYES, LOVE, and GO ON.
-author unknown

Easier said than done.

-b

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very appropo (or however you spell that) for me today. I went to a memorial service at Nicks' cemetery today. It was much like a yikzor service at the high holidays--reminded us of new beginnings and past events. It was well done. I'm glad I went. And yet, it brought up so many feelings again.

I mostly go forward these days, as your sister suggests we do. On days like this I flip back to the grieving sad part. I prob don't do it enough but it is so hard to get through a day when I think back so much...

May you find some peace amongst your memories.
L'shana tova,

M said...

I can only imagine how much you miss him, but I'm sure you live by this quote more than you think you do.

Hang in there.

J.Rowe said...

Your sister chose a beautiful poem. I think we tend to come across poems or readings when we need them most. The words there are to offer you some comfort in darker times. As you said easier said than done, but Joe would want exactly what the end of the poem says for you.

One day at a time, the big picture can be overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

"One day at a time, the big picture can be overwhelming."

I think that sums it up.

I can't even imagine, even though sometimes I try, how much you must miss him. Hugs to you, I hope this week, everyone got your messages, and things are easier for you all around.

Maisy said...

I agree.

Much easier said than done.

Ali

ramblingmuse said...

That's a beautiful poem.

Erin said...

That is a wonderful way to look at things, I think. But I agree, easier said than done.

Nat said...

Came by to say hello, and let you know that I deleted my blog.
can I still come around and post comments?:)

b said...

Nat! I was wondering where your blog went! Why oh why? I loved reading it :O(

Of course you can keep visiting here. Would miss you if you dissapeared.

Nat said...

hi, B:)
I started a new blog. I think you should see it if you open my profile.
I hope you are doing Ok.

Mrs. G.F. said...

Can't even imagine.

Anonymous said...

Yes, easier said than done but a goal to aim for.
Maybe one day.
-Sharon