Wednesday, September 06, 2006

1st Day of School

We got through it. It was a long, tiring day, but the 1st day of school is always long and tiring. I can't wait until we get into a routine! Until then the kids are basically learning about the classroom, and each other. My class is interesting. That can be good or bad. We'll see which one this is :O)

Jacob seemed to have a pretty good day at school. His teacher said he teared up a few times, but never actually cried. He was very excited to tell me about all that he did today, and it was all very positive. But just now, as I put him to bed (yes, he went to sleep at 6:30) he told me he didn't want to go back tomorrow. He started crying and told me that he missed me too much. Broke my heart. However, he's going to a wonderful preschool, and he'll grow to love it. At least, that's what I keep telling myself!

As an aside, Mel and I will be in The Boston Globe tomorrow. We may even be on the front page! We both started blogs at school last year for parents to read about what's going on each day. A reporter found it and interviewed us. Yesterday and today a photographer came and snapped up lots of pictures. Hopefully we'll come off as somewhat intelligent people!

And I miss T. A lot. Which I think is a very good thing indeed.

-b

p.s. Thanks to all of you who stopped by via Dr. John!

9 comments:

Nat said...

It sounds like it was a nice day:)
I think I am going to be the one doing all the crying when Vicki has to go to pre-school.

Will you post some pictures on the blog with the newspaper article?:)
Pretty pleeeease?

Anonymous said...

Yes please.

Pictures on frontpage of Relaxed Alert.

:)

b said...

just to clarify.. the blogs we atarted at school are different than our blogger blogs. I can only hope that no parents are reading this one!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very successful day all around!! (And thank you...now the cookies are finally off the screen!)

I know that Jack didn't want to go back to school after the 3 day weekend...after we've spent a lot of time together like that, it seems to increase his separation anxiety. So, I can only imagine how it must be for Jacob after spending the entire summer with you. But that's awesome that he talked so much about it after school...Jack is still working up to that part with kindergarten!

And yes, do keep us posted on the Boston Globe article. How awesome would that be??

M said...

I know Jacob not wanting to go back is heart wrenching. It would be for me too. But I'm sure that every day he will like it more. Every day he'll have something new to tell you about it. He will definitely grow to love it. It's a terrific school. :o)

First days for us are definitely a bit much. But definitely easier than first grade!

Catch said...

how exciting being in the globe!!! I hope your son feels better tomorrow about his pre school. In time he will love it! Dr John sent me

Leslie said...

Sounds like a good start for both of you. I think it's totally normal for Jacob to feel that way. L loved preschool but also would cry a little at the beginning (last year) but it only lasted for the first few days. He'll adjust, as will you. He had a great summer with you, it's quite a big change for him starting school.
How did Joshua do with out his big bro?
Must remember to pick up the Globe tomorrow.

Alicia said...

Here's the link!

http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_12/articles/2006/09/07/teachers_take_bulletin_boards_online/

and who's Dr.John? I don't see a link for him in your sidebar?

Hugs, and assurances that Jacob will survive and thrive. N cried every day at dropoff his SECOND year; he was fine his first year, but sobbed his second year. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

You made the front page!! I just took a look at this morning's Globe and there you are! Even my 16 yr old was mildly impressed that I knew someone on the front page. I'll have to read it later because it's time to get ready for work, but I will save the article for you.

Hope day 2 goes smoothly for all.