Monday, September 25, 2006

80's TV

My blog buddy, Nick has requested that all of his readers write a post about 80's tv this week. But first I feel the need to tell you a little bit about Nick. Nick's blog was one of the first blogs that I came across, and was the first one that I ever bookmarked. Nick and I have very little in common. For starters, he's a Bush supporting republican. He's a little bit crass, and I rarely agree with his views of the world. Yet despite all of these differences, I really like him and his wife. He makes me laugh a lot, and has been known to leave me very sweet, supportive comments. He and his wife are expecting their first baby very soon, and I have no doubt that they will be excellent parents. Oh, and he has great taste in music.

Now onto the original topic, 80's tv. Was there ever a better time for tv? I think not. There was definitely never a better time for theme songs.

My favorite television shows fell on Thursday and Saturday nights.

Thursday nights consisted of The Cosby Show, and Family Ties. Saturday night consisted of Different Strokes, Silver Spoons, The Facts of Life, and The Love Boat. I also love Who's the Boss and Growing Pains. I could sing you all of the theme songs from the above shows, but I'll spare you my singing.

I had huge crushes on both Ricky Schroeder, and Kirk Cameron. On Facts of Life, I envied Jo's casual triple ponytail, and Blair's money. I wanted to work in the store in the back of the school.

Am I forgetting any shows? What were your favorites?

-b



10 comments:

Nick and Amy said...

I can't believe I forgot to add Facts of Life to my list! I'm right there with ya, with knowing all of the theme songs! Thank you so much for your nice comments about us, you're so sweet!

Nick said...

That's very nice, but I'm not necessarily a Bush supporter, nor a Republican :)

M said...

FINALLY!!!! T.V. we can agree on. You listed some of my favorite shows! Especially Growing Pains and Facts of Life. I wanted to "be" Jo and Kirk Cameron was plastered ALL over my bedroom! :o)

Alicia said...

What about the dramas?

St. Elsewhere
Hill Street Blues
Cagney and Lacey

I loved those shows!!

Anonymous said...

Street Hawk. Oh yeah. Knight Rider without the naff haircut (was it ever cut?) and with a motorcycle instead of a car.

Only lasted 9 episodes though.

Motorcycle hating retarded TV producers.

[raises hand in angry monkey glare]

Sandy. said...

I think you covered my favorites too. Although if I got to stay up late on Saturday night, I got to watch "Fantasy Island" right after "The Love Boat." De plane! De plane! Smiles, everyone, smiles.

A few others that I think might be in that right time period . . . Three's Company, Who's The Boss, The Wonder Years, One Day at a Time and Doogie Howser.

My brother's favorites included the Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider and The A Team.

As for posters in the bedroom . . . I was president of the Shawn Cassidy fan club. LOL

M said...

Dukes of Hazzard was my brothers' favorite. I was forced to watch it again, and again, and again! Then I had to watch them recreate it the next day!!!!!!!!

J.Rowe said...

Friday nights, we were able to stay up late at my grandparents house to watch TV and eat ice cream. I loved Dallas and Falcon Crest was my favorite. There were so many good shows!

We saw the famous Fantasy Island Falls on Kauai Island. They were far more spectacular on TV.

Posters... Rick Springfield, Kirk Cameron, Sean Astin, Corey Haim. I had a subscription to Teen Beat, and I loved the posters.

Nat said...

OK, you have to remember I grew up outside USA, and I was born is '78.
My favourite day time was "Dallas" no question. On Sundays, it was "Star Trek: next generation", and on saturdays night, when my Mom was away and grandma was babysitting, it was "Midnight caller". Now, all together/// how sad........

4texans said...

You listed all my favorites! I also used to love to watch Fantasy Island after the Love Boat.