Saturday, May 10, 2008

Wait, I'm 33?

T and I were walking out of a local restaurant recently, and I thought I recognized an old friend from high school.

"Dave?" I said.
"No, Tom," Tom responded.
"Oh, sorry. You look just like an old friend of mine."
"No problem," Tom said.

T turned to me and asked who I had thought Tom was.

"Oh, just an old friend from high school," I said.
"B, that guy was 20 or 21 years old. How could he have been a friend of yours from high school?"
"But, but, but that's what Dave looked like last time I saw him," I protested.
"How long ago was that, B?'
"Um, maybe 10, 11 years ago?"
"Exactly my point, B."

When did my friends stop looking 20 or 21? And how did I get to be 33? I still feel like I'm 17. Honestly.

-b

9 comments:

E9 said...

do you remember that joke card i sent, "you're only as old as you feel while...."

i think it could actually be true and funny at the same time.

Maureen Fitzgerald said...

I do that all the time - of course the people I think I am seeing are 10 years older AND about 1,500 miles away. When does that go away? When we are 60 and stopping 40 year olds thinking they are some old friend?

Maureen Fitzgerald said...

I do that all the time - of course the people I think I am seeing are 10 years older AND about 1,500 miles away. When does that go away? When we are 60 and stopping 40 year olds thinking they are some old friend?

Anonymous said...

i have totally done this. happy mother's day, b. hope you had a great day with your boys. btw, we found out this week we're having another boy :o) i am really looking forward to that brothers dynamic. xoxo-ej

Anonymous said...

Wait, did you think you saw Dave R.? If you did - here's a more recent picture of him that I took at his wedding:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/219/464408373_c4f499fa56.jpg

b said...

Of course I clicked on the link! Did Dave get married??? I never thought that would happen.

Yes, that's who I thought it was. Please tell me he could pass for a Bentley student. Please?

b said...

Oh, and ej? Congrats! That is so exciting. When is your due date?

J.Rowe said...

I forget how old I am all the time. I have to honestly think about it.

JAV said...

At least Tom didn't respond, "No problem, ma'am."