Monday, May 05, 2008

May 5th
.

May 5, 2004 was a Wednesday. It was quite possibly, the longest day in my life. It was certainly one of the worst. I hope you'll read about it here
.
I'm struggling on the memory front tonight. I have so many, but they all feel blurred together. I'm scared that I'm losing my memories of him. Instead of a memory, I think I'll write a letter to him. Please, if you have a memory, will you share it? Please?


Dear Joe,
You used to have the most amazing voice. It was so deep. Al never met you but she spoke to you on the phone a few times and used to call you Mr. Sexy. You had what I called a radio voice. You were meant to be on the radio. Not only did you have a great voice but you were a great commentator. You were quick, and witty, and super funny. I miss your voice. I have it saved in two places. Our old answering machine, and one scene of video. I haven't played either since you died. I'm afraid of how I'll react upon hearing your voice. Sometimes I hear it in my dreams, but it's not your old voice. It's a scared voice; the voice you had in the hospital. I hate that your voice was taken from you. I hate that I never got to hear it those final days.

Do you remember when we went for pre-marital counseling? The whole time the rabbi was talking to us, and asking us questions, you were pacing the room. You never sat next to me, never held my hand. You were a wreck. I was sure the rabbi would say that she wouldn't marry us. But despite your pacing, you gave really good answers about me. When asked why you wanted to marry me, you told the rabbi that you knew I would be a great mother to our future kids. You told her that I was a good cook, and that you loved being around me. She married us despite your pacing. My sister has said that you walked down the aisle with the biggest grin that she had ever seen. You were that happy. The rabbi officiated your funeral as well. She shared the story of our pre-marital counseling, but in her version we were sitting snuggled together on her couch. I like the real version more. It's more you.

Do you remember the day I miscarried? Strangely enough we had discovered that I was pregnant on May 6, 2002. We were so excited and told everyone we knew. At the end of June I had heavy bleeding, and we both knew something bad had happened. We came home from the hospital that night and lay in bed together and watched a marathon of House Hunters. We snuggled, and cried, and planned to plant a rose bush in honor of the baby that wasn't, and in between we debated which house would be picked. 13 months later Jacob entered the world, and the year after that you were dead. When Jacob was born I remember us saying, "If only we had known a year ago when we were so sad that we'd have this amazing baby a year later." And then when you died I kept thinking, if only we had known when Jacob was born that a year later you'd be gone....

You came to me last night in my dreams, Joe. It wasn't a good dream. I ended up crying all night. Send me good dreams tonight, ok? Four years ago tonight was our last night together. I know you knew that I was there with you. Tomorrow I will go to work and the boys will go to school, and then we will come visit you at the cemetery. Joshua had an interesting theory of how the rocks that we leave at the cemetery get to you. He said that storks pick them up, and fly them up to heaven. Jacob quickly corrected him by saying, "Actually, aliens come down and fly in their spaceships up to heaven, right mommy?" You sons are so ridiculously cute, Joe. I hope you know that. I hope you are still watching us. I hope.

Tomorrow will likely be bad. But that's ok. We will get through it like always. I will cry and share memories with those that will listen. We haven't forgotten you Joe. You have not been forgotten.
love,
b


.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have the best memory. I'm always afraid I won't remember the things about my loved ones. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

this is a beautiful letter, b. i am thinking of you - and especially tomorrow. wishing you comfort, peace and healing - and good dreams tonight. much love to you and the boys. xo-ej

Anonymous said...

I check back every year at this time. I've never met you in person, but I'll never forget Joe's story. Thinking of you and hoping for a peaceful day tomorrow.

anonymous ub mom

Anonymous said...

My Will had a radio voice too but I don't have it recorded anywhere. It's good that you do. I am sorry you had a bad night and wish you good dreams tonight. I am sorry too that I can't read your account of Joe's last days. I can't read or even watch movies about "fake" death so real would be too real. But I know how it is to be there at the end and how the memories can pop up.

Take it easy with yourself tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

b,

I don't think I've ever commented on your blog before, and so I de-lurk now to tell you that I have been reading your posted memories over the last week or so.

I also read all of the posts from Joe's last days. I read them all at once last week. Once started, I could not stop. As someone else said, you keep going hoping that the outcome will be a good one, while knowing that it won't be. I was reading from work and...hoping no one would stop by as my eyes were full of tears for you and Joe.

I have voice recordings of Shelley saved on my voice mail at work. I don't know what told me to start keeping them. Having kept them is bittersweet for you can hear her decline as the message dates get closer and closer to that last day. I need to transfer them off my voice mail to my PC before I lose them forever.

I also have videotape I have to transfer to digital (before it's lost too), but I'm still not ready to see her again as she was - healthy and full of life.

Thanks for sharing your story. It just re-inforces that no matter how much time passes and no matter what's going on in our lives, the grief and the sorrow is really always there - just below the surface.

((Hugs)) to you and your boys.

Alicia said...

Sobbing here, b. and letting you know that Joe will never EVER be forgotten. Even I, who never met him, will never forget him.

I think you understand that.

kyle said...

crying here too b. thoughts, prayers and hugs to you and your boys as you make it through today.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and the boys today. Hugs and prayers to you all. kristi

Anonymous said...

wishing you sweet dreams tonight, b. sending hugs from nc.