Saturday, May 03, 2008

May 3rd
I just sobbed in temple after standing for the Mourner's kaddish (a prayer you say at anniversaries.) I had to walk out and go into the bathroom. The Rabbi's wife followed me and talked to me until I was calm enough to return. Very sweet. I can't believe how grief just takes over me. I miss him so much right now. It feels like it was yesterday, not four years ago. To read about May 3, 2004, click here. To read more about Joe alive and well, read on.


On September 26, 1995 Joe and I attended the Bruins game at the Boston Garden. It was the last even to be held at the Garden, as a new building had already been built in its place, and it was to be torn down the following week.

I was glad to see the new building, but Joe had a love for the old Garden and was sad that it's time had come to an end. He wanted to keep a piece of it with him always.

So he brought a saw with him to the game. Yes, you read that correctly, Joe carried a saw with him into the Bruins game. (Can you imagine this happening post 9/11? Would never be possible. But back in 1995, there were no body searches walking into a stadium, and so Joe kept the saw tucked into his jacket.)

We sat down in our seats and the game began. Every time the Bruins scored, or were close to scoring, everyone would stand up and cheer them on. Joe took those opportunities to saw the back of his seat. The first time he did it he got quite a few stares, but by the fifth or sixth time nobody paid any attention.

The whole row of seats would shake every time he would saw away, and I was worried Joe would be arrested if anyone turned him in. I kept yelling, "You'll get arrested! Stop!" And Joe would reply, "It'll be worth it!"

By the end of the game Joe had successfully sawed the back of his chair. (You know the part with the number on it?) Our whole row cheered for Joe, and I took his picture with the back of the chair in his hands.

We later framed the chair, along with the ticket, a picture of Joe holding the seat, a poster, and a special puck they gave out that night. We still have it hanging up in the playroom.

When I look at the framed "art" I always smile. It pretty much sums Joe up. He never did things half-assed. It was all or nothing in his world. That was how he lived, that was how he died.

-b

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband made the comment to me after he read this that your Joe seemed to be one of those larger than life people that we all know at some point in our lives. The kind of people who do and say the things that the rest of us our too afraid to.

What a great story.

b said...

Thanks Annie (and Rob). That pretty much sums Joe up.

wermit said...

He sawed off his seat back?!? :) I love that! What a great story.

Alicia said...

Sigh... and I'm reading the other posts too. Our stories are so similar, even though the diseases were so different.

I'm glad you had the kaddish this morning: I know I draw strength and comfort from the rituals of our faith community.

Peace to you, my friend.

Anonymous said...

I read last year, and I'm back this year, reading, re-reading, and admiring your strength. I just wanted you to know.
~Shannon

b said...

thank you. to all of you reading. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I have been here reading again Joes story again this year and it still brings tears to my eyes. I got a good chukle out of him sawing the back of his seat off, thats priceless.

Anonymous said...

b, you (joe) had me laughing through my tears.

xo-ej

Anonymous said...

I've heard this story several times, but I love it just as much each time. I've actually retold the story twice just since I read it yesterday. It's a great story and I think you're absolutely right that it sums him up completely. Thanks for sharing. :o)M

Anonymous said...

Love that story. I still can't believe that no one noticed him sawing his seat off during the game.

signed a UB Mom

Anonymous said...

LOVE this story.

I am glad the rabbi's wife was there for you- did you go to temple alone? I have only said Kaddish once, right after J died, but it was so hard. Whenever I hear his name read, it's hard. I admire you so much, b.

E9 said...

if not mistaken, i believe i attended said last game with the two of you. classic!

Anonymous said...

Hi B - I'm glad you decided to post stories about Joe's life this year. They're fun to read - your kids will really enjoy getting to read about everyone's memories of their dad someday. I only met Joe a few times - one memory I have is of going to the cigar store on Tremont Street where he worked for a while, and having him help me pick out some cigars for my brothers for Christmas presents. He was great - he was REALLY into cigars. I also remember back in our high school days some thing he was doing with CDs and their boxes - that memory is pretty vague, but my impression is that he always had some sort of entrepreneurial effort going. And you and he was very, very happy together - I remember that much too. The stories are great - keep 'em coming!

Molly

Anonymous said...

oops - you and he WERE very happy. Sorry - one of these days I will learn how to speak English.

Molly