Tuesday, May 06, 2008

May 6th

As I was driving to school this morning, my sister called me to check in. I began to cry, and told her that I just really missed Joe. We talked about how we couldn't believe that it had been four years already. That just doesn't seem possible.

I then told her that I was worried that I was forgetting Joe stories, that I was losing memories. She said that she had been thinking about it and had come to the conclusion that all of his stories had been told. Not in the past week, but over the course of my almost 3 years on this blog.

Joe died when he was 31. There are only so many "stories" to tell about someone who dies at 31. Most days were normal ones. Joe would wake up, go to work, eat dinner, watch tv, go to sleep. When we had Jacob, his days were staying home Jacob, going to work, coming home, going to sleep. The stories that show how fun and crazy Joe were, the really big stories, those have been told.

And that made me all the sadder.

His stories should not have had to end so soon. He should not have had to die at 31. He should have been allowed to see his youngest son be born. I should have some stories to share about Joe and his children. But I don't.

Since I'm done sharing how Joe lived, here is the story of Joe dying. Here is the story of letting go.

Thursday

At around 6am the doctors woke me up and told me that my talk with Joe, and my arms around him had worked wonders. His oxygen levels had gone way up, and he was in better condition than he had been the night before. I went into the waiting room to share the good news with all the sleepless people who had gathered. Melanie left to call people with the good news. My step-father questioned if my mother really needed to fly home after all. I left the hospital for the first time in almost 24 hours to walk next door for coffee. I felt myself breathing for the first time in days.

But within a few hours, his oxygen levels went back down. The doctors had to perform the same procedure that they did in the middle of the night; turn him back over, this time onto his back.

When I was allowed to go back in the room to see Joe after they flipped him, I was shocked all over again by what I saw. I had become accustomed to the huge amount of fluid in him, the 40 pounds that he had gained in the past few days no longer phased me.

What was new was the discoloration in his arms and legs. They had turned blue. When I touched them, they were ice cold. Even through my gloved hands, they were too cold to touch. His eyes, which were closed, had blood continuously pouring out of them. I asked permission to wipe them dry, and it become a never ending struggle to keep the blood away. His ears no longer looked like ears. They were completely crusted over and curled up.

I asked the nurse about his arms and legs. She explained that when your body's blood levels get very low, the blow circulates around the organs that need it most. Therefore it stops circulating through the limbs. I asked if he would lose his limbs, and she told me that was a possibility.

I didn't leave Joe's side all day. I kept rubbing his arms in legs in a vain attempt to warm them up. I also never stopped talking to him. I never stopped telling him to fight. I never stopped talking about our future, and our childrens' futures. I also kept singing him a song that he would always sing to Jacob. But every time I would sing it, my voice would break, and the tears would start up. I just couldn't believe what was happening before my eyes. I couldn't believe what was happening to my future.

My sister and the nurse insisted that I lie down, but I refused to leave the room. They set me up on a chair in the corner of the room. While I was sitting there, I heard my sister remark on how cold Joe was. The nurse decided to take his temperature. This was a disaster. Joe's tongue had become so enlarged, she couldn't get the thermometer under it. When she finally was able to get it in, it registered 92 degrees fahrenheit. This shocked me enough to get back up, and continue talking to him.

At around 3:30, my mother finally arrived. I was never in my life so relieved to see her. And so it was, for the next two hours my mother, sister and I stood by Joe and told him various stories, most of them funny.

At around 5 pm my sister went to eat some salad. She was also pregnant, and had not been eating or sleeping nearly enough. My mother insisted that I lay back down on the chair in the corner of the room.

I lay down, closed my eyes, and listened to my mother's familiar voice as she talked to Joe. She told him that my sister was eating salad, and that I was finally resting. I think that was Joe's signal. He had waited for my mother to get there, he had waited for me to relax just a bit, and now it was time for him to go.

I heard the heart monitor making a strange sound. I sat right up and asked the nurse what was going on. My mother told me to lie back down, but the nurse told her no, that not only should I not lie down, but that someone should get my sister. I stood up and rushed to the bed. The nurse looked in my eyes and said, "This is it. He's going."

The room was suddenly filled with all of the doctors who had been treating him, along with numerous residents. I didn't notice any of them as I began letting go.

I had taken off my gloves when I lay down, but now I instinctively ran my hands through his hair. I suddenly realized what I had done and looked at the nurse. She told me not to worry, to touch him all I wanted. And so my hands never left his body. Finally we were skin to skin. For the last time, I was touching my husband.

I told Joe that is was ok, he had tried so hard to fight, but now it was time to let go, and rest. I promised him that I would talk to the boys about him every day, that they would know him through me. I promised him that I would be strong, and would make him proud. I told him how proud I was of him, and how much I loved him.

Then I panicked. I changed my mind. I wasn't ready to let go. I looked up at the nurse and said, "I've changed my mind. He can't go! Can I tell him to fight again?"

She looked at me with tears in her eyes. "You can tell him whatever you want. But he's going."

My sister has told me since, that at that point she wanted to scream at all the doctors to do something, to save him. But as she looked around she could see that they were all crying too. She knew that there was nothing left for them to do.

I went back to telling Joe to go. I promised him we would be ok. I promised him he would never be forgotten. I let him go.

And then he was gone. The heart monitor showed that his heart was no longer beating. The doctor gently announced that he was gone. I insisted that he was lying, because Joe's stomach was still rising and falling. He then unplugged a machine, and his body lay still.

The doctors told me that they would give me privacy, and that I could stay with Joe for as long as I wanted. I remember standing there with my mother, sobbing. I kept asking her how I was supposed to leave him. How can you walk away from the love of your life? How can you say goodbye?

But he was already gone. The body that remained wasn't Joe. It didn't even resemble Joe anymore.

I had let him go.

I am still letting him go.

It's just so hard.

-b

(To everyone who took the time to read this entire story, I thank you for letting me keep my promise to Joe. He will not be forgotten.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started reading your blog right around the second anniversary. Each year, I read it all and I loved how you shared stories of how he lived :) You, Joe, and your family will always have a special place in my heart. It's amazing to see how far you've come. Thank you for sharing.

Amanda said...

OK, now I am "that girl" who is crying at her desk at work. I love to hear how much you love him. It makes me realize that true love still does exist. Thank you for sharing your story.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

I first heard about you and your story a year and a few days ago over on UB and have been reading ever since. I can't believe its been a year since I've read your story and cried, I can't imagine how fast four years must have gone by for you. best wishes, and thanks for sharing.

Leslie said...

Thanks for sharing Joe with me b. I don't really know what else I can say.

wermit said...

No, he won't be forgotten, not ever. He is remembered by so many people who have only met him and come to know him through your wonderful words. We won't ever forget him, B.! And I'm so glad you post about those horrible days *and* the wonderful stories every year. I think I needed to hear both this year.

~TigereyeSal~ said...

I ache for you, your loss, and for Joe and the boys. Far too many of us have had to find out far too young just how difficult it is to find a silver lining in the middle of this darkest cloud, but we do find it, and we move forward, and we never forget...

Hugs,

Sally

Anonymous said...

I am here. But I can't think of a thing to say.

Anonymous said...

I am here, too. Your love, and your agony over losing Joe, are poignantly clear. I wish I could give you a big hug.

My husband died in my arms, as well, but in a matter of seconds/minutes, not days. Having those horrifying minutes drawn out would have broken me. You are very courageous. Joe clearly lives on through you and your boys. Much love to you, b.