Friday, May 23, 2008

The Library Card

A library card may seem like just another card to hold onto, another card to get lost, or stolen. To me a library card has always been a symbol of freedom, a pass to a world of knowledge. What could be better than a huge building filled with books that you get to take home for free? And these days there's videos, dvds, and cds. There is free internet, and best of all, there is quiet. Everyone, even the youngest of children know that the library is a place where voices are to be kept quiet, where only whisper voices are acceptable.

I've tried to bring the boys to the library on a weekly basis, but must admit that the past few months have found our afternoons to be too busy to stop on our way home from school. Yesterday, after hearing Joshua plead to go to the library for weeks, I finally relented.

As we walked into the children's section I wondered aloud if Jacob was old enough for a library card. "He just needs to be able to print his name by himself," the librarian answered as she walked by.

I looked at Jacob and asked him if he'd be interested in getting his own library card. He nodded excitedly, and I grabbed an application from the desk.

We browsed for a while, then got in line with our books. Jacob wrote his name in his sloppy four year old handwriting, with his "b" hardly recognizable. Still, it was his very own library card! I could barely contain my enthusiasm.

"This is such an exciting event!" I said for maybe the 5th time.

"Stop saying that!" Jacob screamed. Mind you, we were still in the quiet library.

I looked down at Jacob, completely confused. "Why are you so angry?"

"Because it's not exciting. Stop saying it's exciting. I hate the library!" (again, screaming inside the library!)

Why do kids know exactly what to say to ruin a moment?

On the plus side, Joshua has been practicing writing his name since we got home so that he can get his own card.

-b

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the library when I was a kid and even today have my library card in my wallet, even though it's been a LONG time since I used it.

Anonymous said...

OMG I can totally relate, I used to love the library, and am def. planning on learning my name in print soon so I can get my card.

Maisy said...

Another library lover here.

On the parenting front, well, we know what the significant moments are, and our children will too in retrospect! It seems that children want to glide through these moments smoothly without comment and savour the moment within their being without our interference. Our excitement seems to spoil these processes.

Parenting's a tough gig.

Ali - who's hopeless at not ruining these moments.

Anonymous said...

You should have started singing "Jacob loves the library! Jacob loves the lobrary!" while holding him over your head and spinning him around. That would have made any embarassment he felt earlier seem really small and he would have learned from that experience.

Anonymous said...

I believe that was a moment that my sister would have described as when you should have been doing the snoopy dance quietly in your head and not let that thought out.

Anonymous said...

oh, forgot to say. the w-town library on main st is AMAZING. I have recently fallen in love with going to the library again. it is beautiful, calm, filled with wonderful books and happy helpful librarians (which can be a rarety). it even turned d on about going to the library again. Plus the lend video games or hand hand games as well. wow.