Sunday, February 10, 2008

Wacky Weather

When I was a kid, my father used to tell me a story about the time he went to Revere Beach as a child. (Revere Beach is North of Boston, and was once considered a nice place to summer. It has since gone downhill.)

His family unpacked their car on a sunny morning, and set up their beach blanket, and beach chairs. Out of nowhere the sky turned gray, and it began to downpour. They packed everything up, and hurried into their car.

Within minutes the sun came back out and there wasn't a cloud to be seen. They unpacked back on the beach and headed towards the water. But then the sky clouded over again, and it started to snow! (Yes, this was a tall tale, but I enjoyed hearing it as a child.)

They ran back to their car for shelter, but by the time they got there the sun was back out again. Perplexed, my father asked his parents what was going on.

"Son," my grandfather said to my father, "Welcome to weather in New England."

Never has that sentiment rung more true than today. Every five minutes there was a different extreme of weather. From sunny to snowing, to thunderstorms, to blizzard like conditions, to sunny again. It was nuts.

I think I'll call my grandfather in sunny Florida and tell him that today feels like a day at Revere Beach.

-b

4 comments:

E9 said...

I was glad to hear a story about your dad.

Anonymous said...

yeah! someone actually commented (although this seems like a guilt induced comment)

b said...

lol. I would have expected Brett to comment on Revere Beach, not on my dad!

E9 said...

Revere Beach in the summer is a lot like the salad dressings in my fridge.

Lots of different kinds of Italians.