Monday, January 14, 2008

Cookies Made With Lovefreshly baked this morning by us :O)

My mom failed in many ways
as a mom
she is pretty good now
I can count on her
if I am truly desperate
but she is one of those people
that just wasn't cut out to be a mom
you know?

One thing she did amazingly well
when I was a kid
was bake cookies
I would often come home from school
to find freshly baked cookies

Our friends loved coming to our house
in part because there were very few (no) rules
in part because I think we were a friendly bunch
but one of the biggest reasons
were my mom's cookies

My favorite cookies
were her peanut butter Hersey kiss cookies
they weren't your ordinary peanut butter Hersey kiss cookies
you know the small ones with the one kiss in the center?
these were huge, with multiple kisses
they were always moist and chewy and gooey

Back in the day
I baked cookies just like my mom's
I baked for parties
I baked for new babies
I baked for new neighbors
They were always well received

But then came babies
and widowhood
and life in general
the baking stopped

My vision for a perfect snow day
was a cross between playing in the snow
and baking with the boys

This morning the boys and I made both of those visions come true
Cheers to a perfect snow day

Josh mixing the ingredients

Jacob taking the wrappers off the kissesflattening the cookies

kissing brothers
heading outside to work off those cookies
-b

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this post! Sounds wonderful. :o)M

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD I LOVE THOSE COOKIES
they truly are the best cookies I have ever eaten..I made cookies today as well..much more pathetic cookies.....N

Heather said...

Those look WONDERFUL! I wish I could bake like that. Enjoy the rest of your snow day.

Anonymous said...

Those cookies look delicious! I would love the recipe!
-Nic

J.Rowe said...

Sounds like a great snow day...I'm glad you made the most of it and even happier that you're baking again!!

Anonymous said...

B - what a great post! As one of the friends whose motivation for wanting to come over to your house you speculate about, I can confirm that the friendly bunchness and lack of rules were high up there on the list. Also was the fact that there was always AWESOME food available - didn't your mom always go shopping on Mondays? I remember there would often be a bag of Doritos on Mondays - totally unheard of at my house, and so HEAVENLY!! And you're also right - those pb/kiss cookies of your mom's were the absolute best. She even sent a tin of those to me when I was a freshman in college - I can't even believe that. Love the post - it brought back lots of fun memories. What about Ogilve home breast?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful day, and I also loved this post and want the recipe!!

Aunt Boo said...

That is so awesome. I wish that I could think of things like that to do with my kids. Unfortunately, it doesn't snow here. Darn Alabama.

Amanda

b said...

I will post the recipe tomorrow. They are really easy to make. The key is to slightly underbake them. That's the key to most cookies, imo.

Molly, thanks for sharing your memories. The fact that my mom sent you cookies doesn't really surprise me. Those were the things she did really well. And ogalvie home breast! LOL. I had forgotten all about that! Thanks for the laugh. And yes, my mom did go shopping on Mondays.

Nic, I'm bringing the cookies to school tomorrow, as I've already eaten too many!

Anonymous said...

YIPEE!! I'll have one for breakfast! See you tomorrow!
-Nic

Anonymous said...

Delish!

4texans said...

yummy, I love those kind of cookies! I don't suppose those were a light version???