Saturday, September 22, 2007

Going a Little Too Green

When T moved in we decided to try to go a little green. We set up our recycling bins for paper and plastic, we got rid of disposable water bottles and bought nalgenes for everyone, we adjusted the length of our showers, and stopped running the faucet while brushing our teeth. We even gave up paper towels and paper napkins. Yes, you read that right. Our house has been paper free since May.

As much as I thought going paperless would be impossible, I have to admit that I was wrong. We use sponges to clean up spills, cloth napkins for meals, and dish towels instead of towels. I wash all of the cloth products with our towel load each week, and am spending much less than I was when we used paper towels for everything.

Last week (on Rosh Hashanah to be precise) our washing machine broke. We opted to buy a new one because ours was so old. We picked out an eco conscious front loader and are so excited for its arrival. Problem is, it won't be arriving for three weeks.

Last week I brought all of our laundry to my sister's house. Today I dropped all of our laundry at a laundromat that will wash, dry and fold for a small fortune.

Next week? Not quite sure. But i think I'll be buying some paper towels to get me through the next three weeks. While I'm all for saving the environment, I'm also all for not creating any more laundry than necessary.

-b

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Good for you!

You'll love the front-loading washer.

We use cloth napkins for dinner, but you've inspired me to get rid of paper towels all-together. I'm going to give it a try!

J.Rowe said...

I'm with you on everything except for the paper towels. We love our front loading washer and I think you'll be surprised with the difference. We can do all of our laundry in no time! Such a time saver.

b said...

Andrea,
I'm so glad I inspired you!

Jenn, you'd be surprised what a difference it makes. Start paying attention to how often you use a paper towel. Ask yourself if it's really necessary or if there's something else you could use. They sure are convenient, but so easily replacable by more environmentally friendly supplies.