Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Family Traditions

Tonight marks the beginning of the Jewish New Year
This used to be my favorite holiday
When I was a child
My family would gather
and eat a great meal
cooked by my mother
There was no school, and no work, and always friends visiting

When I got older
the tradition changed just a little
My parents were no longer married
to each other
but my mother continued to cook and bake
my sister would visit from NYC
my brother would show up
we would all eat a big meal together

When I married Joe
the tradition changed
again
We would attend temple with his mother
and have a big meal with his family

When Joe died
I began a new tradition
One day I would visit his family
and the next I would eat with my own family

This year a new tradition will be born
Joe's family isn't speaking to me
and my family isn't acknowledging the holiday
well, my sister is, but she's in NYC
My parents, and brother are both working

T is working as well
I told him tonight that I was depressed that
the holiday I used to love so much
is being ignored
and that the boys and I
will be all alone

He asked me what I wished was happening
and I couldn't answer him
I don't even know
I just want to be surrounded by people that I love
I guess

Tomorrow morning I will take the boys
to temple
and then we will spend the day baking and cooking
and when T gets home from work
a day he promises to take off in the future
we will eat a big meal as a family
he reminded me tonight that we are a family
and we are starting a new tradition

Happy New Year
May it be filled with sweetness

-b

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to all of you...Nik

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I hope you are able to enjoy the day. Hope to see you later. :o)M

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year B. I'm so lucky to have you in my life. Enjoy starting a new tradition with your boys...all three of them. Love you!

Andrea said...

Happy New Year! Here's to making new traditions.

Maisy said...

Have I mentioned lately that I think I love T too?

Ali

Dial-Up Princess said...

happy new year...:)

J.Rowe said...

Cheers to new traditions... Happy New Year and enjoy NYC!

Anonymous said...

Just curious why Joes family is not speaking to you? Happy New year