Monday, June 18, 2007

I made it...

This was the most challenging school year of my 10 year career. These kids tested me every chance they got. They questioned my every direction, and interrupted my every word. Some students chose to speak only in bird, or cat. Some refused to budge from fetal position on the rug. Some took up belching as a pastime.

This class made me cry almost nightly in frustration for the first 5 months of school. They frustrated me to the point of feeling like quitting. They made me turn into a teacher who yells, and threatens.

Why is it then, that I am tearing up thinking of saying goodbye to this crew? Strangely enough, I have grown to love them. Even stranger, I will actually miss them. All of them. Even "bird girl."

Go figure.

-b

6 comments:

Maureen Fitzgerald said...

My toughest classes are always the ones that I remember the most. I think a lot of times I wind up respecting their spunk! Glad the year wound up being a good one in the end. Enjoy your summer!!!

Anonymous said...

It's because as tough as they are the fact you got through the year with them shows how great a teacher you are.

Sure they may not have learned anything but that's not your fault it's theirs but the fact you stuck with them shows how much you care for the job you do.

Passion for the job you love will wear off onto them. They may not realise it now but a few years down the track you'll see it was worth it struggling with them.

Struggles make us stonger but then you've already worked that one out haven't you.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your summer! I loved the last day of school like no other. Great job with those kids! They were lucky to have you!

Anonymous said...

bird girl - *snort* - that is too funny. i understand it's bittersweet, but i'm sure you've made just as big an impression on them as they have on you. probably bigger.

happy vacation!!!

ej

Aunt Boo said...

I have always said that it takes a special person to be a teacher.

On behalf of the mothers everywhere, Thank You for what you do.

Amanda

J.Rowe said...

Sometimes you love those classes even more...

Happy Last Day!!!

Looking forward to a fun summer.

J