Wednesday, June 13, 2007


Dear Jacob,

Tomorrow you will be four years old! Your short life has been so full of chaos and sadness, and for that I am so sorry. Despite all that you've been through in your short life, you have turned into a wonderful person.

Jacob, you have an amazing sense of humor. You crack yourself up all day long, and you crack Joshua and me up too. You have a smile that can light up a room, and a pout that makes me give in way too often.

You ask me questions that I have no idea how to answer. Two weeks ago you asked me, in a serious voice, "Where exactly IS Humpty Dumpty's wall?" You ask me questions about nature and weather all the time, and are curious about everything you come into contact with.

You are such a great brother. Today you received two birthday cards in the mail, and you gave one to Josh to open, because "That is fair." You love to do everything with your little brother, and are his best friend. I love watching you teach him things you have learned, and watching you cheering him on.

This year was your first year being separated from Josh, and it was hard for you at first. You used to cry every day when I dropped you off for school. Not a sobbing cry, but the silent cry with tears rolling down your face, and a quivering lip. I hated leaving you, and would cry myself as I drove to work, but I knew that it was the best thing for you. You have become an independent thinker this year. You have grown to love school, made many friends, and tried so many things.

You are a baseball player, a dancer, a singer, a joke teller, a reader, a writer, an artist, a storyteller, a snuggler, a student, a teacher, a magician, a friend.

You, Jacob, are a remarkable little boy, and I am so proud to be your mother.

Happy Birthday. May this year be your best year yet.

Love,
Mom

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful boy you have!! He is so lucky to know how special he is to you, to Joshua and to T!!

These posts remind me to remember how special my kids/teens are to me!!

Anonymous said...

Okay Girlfriend, the tears are welling up here...

Happy Birthday dear Jacob. And how sweet that he gave a card to Josh. :)

Maisy said...

A looooong time ago I thought that everyone loved their children. Sadly life experience has burst this little bubble :( I am so glad you love your boys and receive so much joy from being their Mum.

Ali

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am now in tears as well. Well written. Jacob is every bit the wonderful boy that you described. He's so lucky to have such an amazing mom that can express that to him.

Happy Birthday Jacob! :o)Mel

Dial-Up Princess said...

Happy bday, Jacob. That was definitely a tear jerker of a note to Jacob.

Aunt Boo said...

You gave me chill bumps!!

Happy Birthday Jacob!!!

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th Birthday JACOB!!!

Wishing him (and all of you) a fabulous year filled with love, happiness, wonder, adventure and JOY.

xo
ej

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jacob!!

in_the_clover
xoxo

ramblingmuse said...

Happy birthday to Jacob!

ramblingmuse said...

Happy birthday to Jacob!