Monday, January 15, 2007

Trip To The ER

This afternoon, after a nice day with the boys, Jacob fell. Not a crazy fall, just a normal, slip on the kitchen floor. He landed on his butt, and seemed fine. But he started to cry, so I sat on the floor to hug him. As soon as I took him in my arms, his head fell backwards, his eyes disappeared into his head, and he was out cold.

I called his name a few times, then began panicking. I carried him into the living room, and called 911. While on the phone with the operator he started making noises, and by the time the ambulance arrived he was fully conscious.

We went to the er and were released within 2 hours. The doctors think that either the pain, or the scare of the fall caused him to pass out.

Those moments, where Jacob was passed out in my arms, were quite possibly the scariest of my life. And I've had some scary moments.

-b

12 comments:

M said...

I am incredibly grateful that he's okay. You handled yourself beautifully for J. Both boys are so lucky to have you. :o)

J.Rowe said...

How frightening!!! I'm sorry, but so glad he's alright.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that he is okay! What a scary experience...it sounds like you kept it together and did exactly what you needed to do....you are an amazing mother.

-nic

Anonymous said...

my heart skipped a beat picturing what that could have been like for you! Great job on how you handled it!

Anonymous said...

I'll say it again. I am so glad that he is okay. You are a terrific, smart mother!!!

Anonymous said...

I have a huge lump in my throat after reading this...how horribly scary! It must have scared the hell out of you. HUGE hugs B...

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine the fear and scare you felt!! OMG I just wish I could I hug it away. I'm glad everyone was OK, and I know you handled it better than I ever could!!

ramblingmuse said...

Oh wow. I'm glad he's ok.

Anonymous said...

Oh Betsy dear, I can so relate. Two years ago in October, Hubby came upon our then 17 year old daughter in the throes of a grand mal seizure - where she stopped breathing. As an ER RN, I have witnessed more seizures than I care to remember but when it is your own child and so tatally unexpected, it scared the crap ouuta me!!

The good news is that it seems like it was an isolated incident -- probably sue to the 'flu.

Prayers to you all,
Kathy

Dial-Up Princess said...

that is scary..Im glad he is ok, B.

I had an incident with my kiddie in the summer when she fainted. my older sis was putting on her life jacket and she fell forward. she wasnt out too long but it was scary. apparently she is prone to heat related issues because it had happened once at school during P.E. lovely since we live in Florida.

4texans said...

Oh no, how scary. I'm so glad he is okay.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, b.