Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Red Sox Sadness

Joe loved the Red Sox more than any fan I know. He loved them when they were good, and he loved them when they were bad. He loved going to Fenway Park and watching the games while drinking beer, and he loved watching them on our porch while smoking a cigar.

Jacob was born on our 5 year anniversary. The next day was Father's Day; Joe's one and only Father's Day as a father. He dressed Jacob up on a Red Sox onesie and watched the game together from my hospital bed. It was, by all accounts, a perfect day.

I've always thought that the fact that Joe never lived to see the Red Sox win the World Series was one of the cruelest fates for him. Particularly because they won just a few months after he died. He was so close to seeing them win.

Have I shared my world series story here before? I'm too tired and lazy to check. Sorry if this is a repeat.

Jacob was a little over a year old. He was a champion sleeper (still is, knock on wood). When he was that age, he went to sleep at 6:00 on the dot, and stayed asleep until 6:00 the next morning. I can count on one hand the number of times he woke up during the night.

During the very last inning, of the very last game of the world series, Jacob woke up screaming. I ran into his room, scooped him out of his crib and brought him into bed with Josh and me. As a result, we all watched the Red Sox win the world series together as a family.

And I was convinced then, and am convinced now that Joe woke Jacob up, just as he would have if he had been here. I believe that Joe was watching that final inning with us. Sometimes I even believe that Joe had a little something to do with them winning.

I believe

Go Sox

-b

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that gave me goose bumps.

Aunt Boo said...

You gave me the biggest chill bumps ever! You can "hear" the love in your tone when you talk about him.

Amanda

Ann said...

That's a wonderful story. My LH was a rabid Pitts. Steelers fan. The Sunday before he died I insisted that the AFC championship by on the tv in his hospice room. I can't say he heard a word but it was something he would have wanted. I always took the Steelers winning the Superbowl that year as a sign that Will was there on the field watching. How else could all the ref calls go their way?

Enjoy the play offs.