Friday, November 10, 2006

Missing Joe

Two and a half years later I can honestly say that I miss Joe less frequently. I'll go hours, days, weeks even that I'm not actively missing him. He is not my first thought when I wake up, nor is he my last thought when I go to sleep. I am not constantly reminded of him, nor do I feel the need to bring him up in every conversation I have with people.

But the times that I do miss him are more painful than I can even put into words. Every pore in my body aches for him, my mouth can't open because no doubt I will cry instead of speak. Every song, commercial, comment by a passerby, all remind me of him. I want to smell him, feel him, talk to him, laugh with him. I just want him here.

And then I picture him in his hospital bed dying. He died in front of me and I don't think I can ever get over that. His body failing, his heart rate decreasing. I am just so sad for him. And for everyone who knew him, and everyone who didn't know him.

He was one of a kind, my husband Joe. One of a kind.

-b

6 comments:

Alicia said...

But the times that I do miss him are more painful than I can even put into words.

This is what still take my breath away: The pain is not all-consuming, it's not there 24/7 -- but when it comes, it no less acute than it was at the beginning.

Hugs and ughs, from me to you

Sandy. said...

I wish I didn't know what you mean. I wish I didn't understand.

But I do. I completely understand.

It is so true.

Sandy.

M said...

:o(

B said...

I feel the same way when I think about my best friend when he passed away.

Sometimes I wish I didn't miss him, but he's the first thing I think of when I wake up in the morning and the last person I think of when I go to sleep at night, and it's been almost six years.

If I could give you a hug, I would.

allison said...

HUGS, b :)

Mrs. G.F. said...

sigh...

I can't even imagine...

((B))