Thursday, August 16, 2007

Making Working Out Work Out

This summer I have been working out on average 90 minutes per day. I do this at the gym where the boys go to preschool/camp. It's so convenient. I drop the boys off, work out, come home and shower, continue with my day, and pick the boys up.

But I hate the picking up part. While the preschool/gym is close to my work, it is not close to my home. Driving there twice a day is annoying because there's always traffic, and my car goes through gas like there's no tomorrow.

So I've been stressing out about how I'm going to continue working out once school resumes in less than three weeks. (Say it isn't so!) I won't have time to work out before school, and I feel guilty putting the boys in babysitting when I pick them up. They will have been in school from 7:45-3:45, and I just don't think that's fair.

So I was planning on bringing the boys home, playing with them, feeding them, bathing them, and putting them to bed. Then I was going to head back to the gym to work out.

But I know myself. I know that I won't want to drive all the way back to the gym. And there lay my dilemma. How do I continue working out daily once school resumes?

My solution? Join a second gym down the street. A gym that is less than a three minute drive. A gym that offers spinning (my new obsession) every night. A gym that allows me to pay monthly and cancel at any time if it's not working out. A gym that gives me a 20% discount because of my health insurance.

BTW, I have to belong at the first gym in order for the boys to go to preschool there. I know, it's crazy. Hopefully my solution is not crazy.

-b

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your solution sounds perfect to me!

I too sometimes feel guilty about working out when Jack has been in school all day. But remember...a healthy mom is the BEST gift you can give your kids. It also sets a great example for them in how to lead a healthy lifestyle.

So, like you say, try it for a few months...tweak it if you need to...you are determined, and you WILL make it work! I'm so proud of you...

Anonymous said...

I agree with K! You must make time for yourself and your health. As my kids grow up, I realize how much that do what we do, rather than what we say. It's shattering sometimes the things that they say.

Anonymous said...

Good plan, I've heard that working out is very difficult for most people after 5pm, has to do with getting all worked up only hours before bed...good luck

Anonymous said...

hi b:

Off topic but could we have an up-date on Joshua's medical issues please?

PS -- Way to go with your fitness regiem! The more you lose, the greater the reinforcement, huh?

in_the_clover
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Your solution is crazy. You've cleary gone crazy. I've never seen such crazed craziness, even from my friend Crazy McCrazerson.

b said...

In the clover, Jacob's EEG is scheduled for next week. I'll keep you posted.

Owen, I miss you! Can I come visit? Please?

Kelly, QK, and anon, thanks for the support. Kelly, are you still with Mr. fabulous?

Mrs. G.F. said...

Good for you..you are making it work. That is awesome, I have to get that drive myself to work out. ;)

Anonymous said...

I see I mixed up ur boys's names.

Sorry.

I can't keep my own straight 1/2 the time:)

in_the_clover

Anonymous said...

Yes darling, I'm still with Mr. Fabulous (aka Eric)...and we've even started working out together, which has really renewed my interest in the gym! I thought I knew how to work out...but let me tell you, the first time we went, he sure kicked my butt. He's been very insprirational for me because he doesn't make excuses about working out...he just does it.

One thing that's helped me might help you too once school starts. I used to think, gee, if I can't go to the gym for an hour, it's not worth going. WRONG. Sometimes I'll only have 30-40 minutes, so I'll still go, but just work extra hard while I'm there.

And be sure to throw some weight training in there too...that really helps your metabolism and can maximize the time you spend at the gym.

Did I tell you how proud I am of you????? I want to see a picture!